Civil War era and WW1 era???

Hesmikeb

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2024
United States, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 600
Found all these relics on the same site years ago but just recently tried to identify/date them. I'm pretty confident the button is WW1 era but everything I find on the rosette indicates it is civil war era. The knapsack hook seems to be a common civil war camp site find and I think I've seen some of those rectangular buckle looking things as civil war artifacts too but not sure. The fired bullet also doesn't look like any civil war era bullet that I've found on internet. Could all of this be WW1?

Appreciate any discussion.

Attachments

• 20240728_130506.jpg
    20240728_130506.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240728_130529.jpg
    20240728_130529.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240728_130538.jpg
    20240728_130538.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240728_131313.jpg
    20240728_131313.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
I think that rosette is CW cavalry
Checked with a buddy of mine, and I agree I think the rosette is later than cw. Size appears off, and most ( not an expert) cw rosettes I’ve seen have a lead back. Not certain of the size, but I’ve dug a very similar ww1 coat button.

Found all these relics on the same site years ago but just recently tried to identify/date them. I'm pretty confident the button is WW1 era but everything I find on the rosette indicates it is civil war era. The knapsack hook seems to be a common civil war camp site find and I think I've seen some of those rectangular buckle looking things as civil war artifacts too but not sure. The fired bullet also doesn't look like any civil war era bullet that I've found on internet. Could all of this be WW1?

Appreciate any discussion.
…and as I have just gone through this conversation with a very similar looking bullet (it’s a thread in the “what’s this” section) I’ll say that’s a Lyman repro. Learned a lot about those bullets from several on this site, but unless she is water dug, it doesn’t have the patina to be old…….my opinion

solder , not pure lead is used to fill the backs of civil war plates and rosettes
My apologies, there is a grey metal that fills the back of most rosettes I’ve seen( not an expert). Solder prior to very recently was a mix of 60 or 80% lead and the remainder tin. I think in the 80s it went to 50/50 before the lead being phased out all together.

My apologies, there is a grey metal that fills the back of most rosettes I’ve seen( not an expert). Solder prior to very recently was a mix of 60 or 80% lead and the remainder tin. I think in the 80s it went to 50/50 before the lead being phased out all together.
Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments. Still curious about 5he knapsack hook...did they still use those into the early 1900s?

Looks like you had fun digging them items ;) Welcome to Treasurenet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back