Civil War Carbine and Officers Sword thrown into Quinalt lake

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
When my GGrandfather Mark Hayes came to the Pacific NW he brought with him his Dad's Carbine and Officers Sword from the Civil War. Cpt. John Hayes was first a Private in the 5th Kansas Cavalry, and then commissioned as a Lt and made the Commander of the 11th US Colored Infantry.

This sword and carbine were stolen by kids and thrown into the Quinalt lake about 1950. I am wondering if I should try to find them, and what kind of shape they might be in if I did. The ones who stole them are still alive and would probably show me where they were thrown into the lake at. I do know they were both Engraved with his name on them.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
By now I would think that the sword was all rusted out, but it may not be. It shouldn't take long to find it if you can pinpoint the correct location and have the right equiptment for that kind of stuff. I say go for it. Matt

Altho I'm no expert, My thought is, there is no Air under Water, Therefor No Rust can Form, Till you pull it out. If this is the Case, A heavy Magnet May do the Trick.

? Not only that but it's only been under water approx. 55 years. not realy a long time considering, Civil war Relics Can be found in Lakes & rivers, that have been there sinse the 1860's.

I say, If the Persons who Thru them in Are telling the truth that,? That's realy what they did with them back then & they remember where, Go for it.

By the way, I found slot Machines & Beer Cans from times much earlier under water, & no rust on them.
Rust only started attacking them, after the lake was drained & air started reaching them.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Good Luck & keep us posted ; jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back