Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 13
Really awesome canteen. Something you never really see come out of the ground whole, and in good shape at that!

KILLER find there. How do you intend to preserve it?

Bullseye! Rare intact like that after so long. Nice!

Wow - just WOW, Hut! You've REALLY got my attention now . . . so unusual to find in that kind of shape in 2013!! How did you resist thinking it was a tin can and leaving it . . . or just yanking it out of the ground and destroying it. I gotta hear some DETAILS man! And would you mind posting the markings on the throat? Congrats, man -

Very Nice esp, for this time [as said]; I would think preserving such an item will take much time and patience IMO. Great find HSD.

Super find HSD!! Now the hard part starts with cleaning and preservation. How will you approach that?

that sure beats the heck out of every so often canteen spout find,lol. Excellent save !!!

I wonder if there is any way to get some DNA off of the spout and figure out who drank from it.

Yah you all... i was pretty shocked and actually didn't believe @ first it was civil war era, i've only seen them non-dug before or in photos - i told my self it was to good to be true, right after i dug it i went back to the truck and got on the i-pad and double checked myself..

It was found on a slight hill side leading down to the stream about 8 inches in the ground with the busted side facing up, if it wasn't for it being dropped on the hill i don't think it would have survived in-tact like this... When i first dug it and saw the busted up side, i thought @ first it was just a piece of junk and just about left it but - i plucked her outta the ground and saw the canteen spout... Glad i found her because the site i was hunting was a bust and the canteen was found right when i was about to call it a quits, i just told myself i needed to hunt the hill side real quick and get out.. Amazing how most good finds are found right when you are about to call a quits and then just tell yourself "well let me hunt this little area for about 5 minutes" and you find something amazing..

Nice piece of history congrats!

Sensational find HutsiteDigger, congrats! There is something personal about a soldier's canteen that makes it particularly interesting to me. When you found it, I was wondering if it was filled with dirt--if so did you have any trouble removing the dirt without harming the remains of the canteen?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back