Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gotten permission from a lady who walks her dog by the middle school and stops and talks sometimes. She stopped by on my last trip to say her kids objected to my detecting the houses she owns so those permissions are gone darn it.

DAY 1
I went back to finish yard where I found the 1906 license. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 low and slow so I don’t miss any goodies. I found a lot of miscellaneous brass and lead and a few goodies. Altogether I found 21 coins with a face value of $0.37 (these old folks didn’t loose much change), a bent harmonica reed, 2 buttons, a wheatie, a big brass ring, a couple of cosmetics lids, a broken porcelain bottle cap, another brass whatzit, a pocket knife, part of a toy airplane, some tabs, foil, brass and lead scrap.

DSCN3265.jpeg

The buttons are the stars this trip. The first one is a general service Eagle button made by SCOVILL MG CO WATERBURY. These were made from 1850 to 1865 so it is a civil war button. The other one looks like it could be a navy button, but it is not listed in the military button book and there is NO backmark. Probably a blazer or coat button. The quality and style of button and shank suggests the it was probably made before 1950.

DSCN3266.jpeg

DAY 2
It has been rainy and cold this spring, but I had the itch to get into the water and do some swingin. I know there have been a few warm days and I was hoping somebody had left me something. I spent 6.5 hours with the ATPro with my usual setup PRO ZERO mode IRON set at 30 with IRON AUDIO on and sensitivity 2 down from max. The water was very quiet which was no real surprise since I cleaned it out pretty good when the water was all gone last fall. But nobody ever gets it all and there is always hope for new losses. Also freezing and thawing moves things around and sometimes makes them easier to get a good signal. I did manage to find 9 coins with a face value of $0.55, some jewelry, a few tabs, 2 selfie stick retainers, a line guide from a fishing pole, sinkers, 2 toy cars and of course foil. When I am hunting in the water and looking for those small earrings and earring backs, foil is the enemy. It sound like the good stuff and it has a tendency to float around and not get into the scoop so you end up chasing it for way too long before you can get it out of the water.

DSCN3268.jpeg

I did find one goodie in the jewelry. A tiny little 14k earring which had a screw on back. The stones looked good but theyare junk. Gold is gold and I’ll take it. That makes 2 golds so far for the new year that started May 1.

DSCN3269.jpeg

DAY 3
I am in need of new places to detect. I really don’t like knocking on a stranger’s door so I have been asking friends and acquaintances. I guy I know got me permission to detect his mother in laws house near the park I have detected a number of times. Her house was built in 1930 so I was hoping for something silver.

I spent 4.5 hours going low and slow and covering about half of the yard. I turns out the half I was on was old fill and had some large iron and even some chunks of melted brass. I did manage to find 10 coins with a face value of $1.01, a brass cap, 2 D rings, a small brass buckle, a brass gear, part of a brass lock, the aluminum top to a cash game tab can, part of a 1960s toy car, a toy car for the 1990s, a few aluminum bottle caps, bits of copper and brass and of course tabs.

DSCN3270.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

The melted brass.

The brass cap like object is marked NO 3 BANNER. The only reference I can find that matched that is an old oil lamp. It could be something else but I’m not sure.

DSCN3271.jpeg

The lock part is the front plate from a brass clamshell lock. It is marked DIAMOND 6 LEVER. The lock was patented in 1895. It is bent up, and looks like it may have been hit by a mower a long time ago. With luck I’ll find the rest of the lock somewhere in the yard.

DSCN3272.jpeg

DAY 4
School will be out soon around here, but for now it’s still detecting on the weekend at the schools. I went to the middle school and extended the grid where I found the silver ring last time.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 114 coins with a face value of $5.82 (72 pennies), a toy car, a Canadian nickel, 2 wheaties (1944, 1953), an aluminum pirate face, a bead, a sinker, a wrist watch frame, a whatzit, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum fence wire, tabs and pencil ends.

DSCN3273.jpeg

Oldmxrat posts that he keeps his tabs in a jar and empties it when he finds gold. I need a pretty big jar for all the tabs I find between gold finds with the places I hunt. Just on this hunt I found 23 beaver tail pull off tabs and 29 more modern stay on tabs. (Which brings up the question: If the tabs are meant to stay on the can why do we find so many of them off their cans?)

IMG_8615.jpeg

The only interesting item is this aluminum device that says FINGER TIP on it. No idea what it is.

DSCN3275.jpeg

Nothing else special or note worthy, but the coins were decent on this hunt and that at least helps pay for the gas and the whole point is to get out and hunt and not get skunked. The good stuff just adds to the fun.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I did get a Canadian dime from one coinstar and a nickel and 4 pennies from another. I found a few pennies and dimes here and there in my travels. Nothing great, but it all adds up.

DSCN3276.jpeg

I found mister toad hiding down in his hole and some of the nice flowers that are part of spending time outdoors in the fresh air. There are a lot of wonderful things around if you take the time to notice.

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8613.jpeg

So a few winners and a lot of hunting that wasn’t as good as anticipated, but I’ll detect anywhere I can get permission. You win some and you lose some, but you won’t know until you try. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 20
I had gotten permission from a lady who walks her dog by the middle school and stops and talks sometimes. She stopped by on my last trip to say her kids objected to my detecting the houses she owns so those permissions are gone darn it.

DAY 1
I went back to finish yard where I found the 1906 license. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 low and slow so I don’t miss any goodies. I found a lot of miscellaneous brass and lead and a few goodies. Altogether I found 21 coins with a face value of $0.37 (these old folks didn’t loose much change), a bent harmonica reed, 2 buttons, a wheatie, a big brass ring, a couple of cosmetics lids, a broken porcelain bottle cap, another brass whatzit, a pocket knife, part of a toy airplane, some tabs, foil, brass and lead scrap.

View attachment 2151384

The buttons are the stars this trip. The first one is a general service Eagle button made by SCOVILL MG CO WATERBURY. These were made from 1850 to 1865 so it is a civil war button. The other one looks like it could be a navy button, but it is not listed in the military button book and there is NO backmark. Probably a blazer or coat button. The quality and style of button and shank suggests the it was probably made before 1950.

View attachment 2151383

DAY 2
It has been rainy and cold this spring, but I had the itch to get into the water and do some swingin. I know there have been a few warm days and I was hoping somebody had left me something. I spent 6.5 hours with the ATPro with my usual setup PRO ZERO mode IRON set at 30 with IRON AUDIO on and sensitivity 2 down from max. The water was very quiet which was no real surprise since I cleaned it out pretty good when the water was all gone last fall. But nobody ever gets it all and there is always hope for new losses. Also freezing and thawing moves things around and sometimes makes them easier to get a good signal. I did manage to find 9 coins with a face value of $0.55, some jewelry, a few tabs, 2 selfie stick retainers, a line guide from a fishing pole, sinkers, 2 toy cars and of course foil. When I am hunting in the water and looking for those small earrings and earring backs, foil is the enemy. It sound like the good stuff and it has a tendency to float around and not get into the scoop so you end up chasing it for way too long before you can get it out of the water.

View attachment 2151385

I did find one goodie in the jewelry. A tiny little 14k earring which had a screw on back. The stones looked good but theyare junk. Gold is gold and I’ll take it. That makes 2 golds so far for the new year that started May 1.

View attachment 2151386

DAY 3
I am in need of new places to detect. I really don’t like knocking on a stranger’s door so I have been asking friends and acquaintances. I guy I know got me permission to detect his mother in laws house near the park I have detected a number of times. Her house was built in 1930 so I was hoping for something silver.

I spent 4.5 hours going low and slow and covering about half of the yard. I turns out the half I was on was old fill and had some large iron and even some chunks of melted brass. I did manage to find 10 coins with a face value of $1.01, a brass cap, 2 D rings, a small brass buckle, a brass gear, part of a brass lock, the aluminum top to a cash game tab can, part of a 1960s toy car, a toy car for the 1990s, a few aluminum bottle caps, bits of copper and brass and of course tabs.

View attachment 2151389

View attachment 2151388
The melted brass.

The brass cap like object is marked NO 3 BANNER. The only reference I can find that matched that is an old oil lamp. It could be something else but I’m not sure.

View attachment 2151390

The lock part is the front plate from a brass clamshell lock. It is marked DIAMOND 6 LEVER. The lock was patented in 1895. It is bent up, and looks like it may have been hit by a mower a long time ago. With luck I’ll find the rest of the lock somewhere in the yard.

View attachment 2151391

DAY 4
School will be out soon around here, but for now it’s still detecting on the weekend at the schools. I went to the middle school and extended the grid where I found the silver ring last time.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 114 coins with a face value of $5.82 (72 pennies), a toy car, a Canadian nickel, 2 wheaties (1944, 1953), an aluminum pirate face, a bead, a sinker, a wrist watch frame, a whatzit, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum fence wire, tabs and pencil ends.

View attachment 2151395

Oldmxrat posts that he keeps his tabs in a jar and empties it when he finds gold. I need a pretty big jar for all the tabs I find between gold finds with the places I hunt. Just on this hunt I found 23 beaver tail pull off tabs and 29 more modern stay on tabs. (Which brings up the question: If the tabs are meant to stay on the can why do we find so many of them off their cans?)

View attachment 2151392

The only interesting item is this aluminum device that says FINGER TIP on it. No idea what it is.

View attachment 2151396

Nothing else special or note worthy, but the coins were decent on this hunt and that at least helps pay for the gas and the whole point is to get out and hunt and not get skunked. The good stuff just adds to the fun.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I did get a Canadian dime from one coinstar and a nickel and 4 pennies from another. I found a few pennies and dimes here and there in my travels. Nothing great, but it all adds up.

View attachment 2151397

I found mister toad hiding down in his hole and some of the nice flowers that are part of spending time outdoors in the fresh air. There are a lot of wonderful things around if you take the time to notice.

View attachment 2151387

View attachment 2151394

View attachment 2151393

So a few winners and a lot of hunting that wasn’t as good as anticipated, but I’ll detect anywhere I can get permission. You win some and you lose some, but you won’t know until you try. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
I like your ability… always thoroughly describing your day to day outings along with your recoveries.
Thanks for sharing with us

I like your ability… always thoroughly describing your day to day outings along with your recoveries.
Thanks for sharing with us
Thanks billb. Your reply was greatly appreciated. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

It's too bad about your previous hunting sites. I wonder why the lady's kids object to metal detecting? Possibly because they don't know any better and imagine dug up holes all over the place? :dontknow:

I too find lots & lots of pull tabs which are meant to stay on the can. For the life of me I cannot understand why folks pull those off.

It is neat finding coins and relics but just as you stated, enjoying the weather and seeing nature will definitely brighten most folks' day! :sunny: I know it does for me.

Another BIG bunch of interesting finds, congrats!

Btw, I have the jar half full again already. Those things sound sooo good, especially the old beaver tails.
Those modern tabs, "nervous tabs" I call them, kind of indicate the human state to me these days. I suppose it goes along with why so many people have to take "nervous" drugs (anti depressants). Sad stuff. Glad we have this hobby to keep our heads straight.

Another BIG bunch of interesting finds, congrats!

Btw, I have the jar half full again already. Those things sound sooo good, especially the old beaver tails.
Those modern tabs, "nervous tabs" I call them, kind of indicate the human state to me these days. I suppose it goes along with why so many people have to take "nervous" drugs (anti depressants). Sad stuff. Glad we have this hobby to keep our heads straight.
Thanks for the reply. You’re right about the tabs and how they sound. If you pass them up you are never going to find the gold. Unfortunately you are also correct about the tabs I fear. Too many people with nothing to do to keep their mind occupied and relying on medication as a cure.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back