[Civil war button] - I think its a good find, but im a coin guy…

Aug 26, 2024
My sister asked me to go through a bag of change of hers, because like the title says.. im a coin guy, not a button guy. I found this inside of it, a little research later and new account creation later.. and I present to to you a
Civil war (Union?) General Service Button Dated (1830-1860s)?
Back says “SCOVILLS & C° • Extras •”
Front has an eagle, the shield has vertical lines in the bottom portion and a blank top portion (potentially stars which have rusted away?)

Anyway, my research tells me there are a million different variations and specific use cases. If anyone could provide a specific answer as to what this is, and its worth, that would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I apologize for being able to stumble onto something like this.. dont want to insult anyones time spent in this hobby with this beginners luck. IMG_3724.jpeg
IMG_3717.jpeg
IMG_3719.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3723.jpeg
    IMG_3723.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3702.jpeg
    IMG_3702.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to Treasurenet , union eagle button. value around $ 12 where I live as they are quite common.

Welcome to Treasurenet , union eagle button. value around $ 12 where I live as they are quite common.
Thanks for the engagement!

Im currently in the Carolinas, assume it was found here as well. Could you give me a rough estimate on its subjective condition, relative to others obtained in a similar manner?

Also, do you have a date or range of years it would have been made?

Is this something worth getting graded or just something to keep in an unsealed plastic case?

Thanks again!

The condition is good , many eagle buttons are coming out of the ground rotten or separated into two pieces.
the condition is usually related to soil conditions . 1840-1850 date range . they are a common find here in Va, I have at least 50 of them of various back marks. worth about $12 -$ 20. I've never heard of getting relics graded . don't wash it, water will get in and be very hard to get out leading to decay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back