civil war bullet

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20141018_231029.jpg ok guys, I have been hunting a confederate calvary camp and this is a bullet that has got me stumped. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not the bullet person, but it resembles a wadcutter.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I'm not the bullet person, but it resembles a wadcutter.

Breezie

Thanks, I have not a clue. I'm use to digging up the bigger three ring type bullets. I found a NY state seal union officers button there two weeks ago

Upvote 0
Here is a better pic 1413693034216577910725.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a bullet. Maybe a piston from a hydraulic cylinder, like a car master cylinder. The 2 wide grooves would have rubber o rings.

Upvote 0
It's definitely not broken. It just resembles a bullet to me. Just not one like I have seen lol

Upvote 0
Is it made of lead? Would you post a pic of the flat end.

Breezie

Upvote 0
1413733885102577910725.jpg1413733972269-1554600944.jpg

Upvote 0
I appreciate the help. I'm no expert when it comes to relics, but love to learn.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure what it is made of but the edges give a little reddish hue. Maybe copper?

Upvote 0
Since it doesn't look like it was attached to a rod or such, maybe the small grooves toward pointed end had 'O' rings and it is a stopper of some sorts?

Upvote 0
I think TomPA got it. I'de call it a snap fastener stud, something like this setup but with a stud instead of a twist lock.

Attachments

• CAM00062.jpg
    CAM00062.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
They are sort of like riveted to thick canvas, items like leather straps, belts, Vietnam circa web gear used similar fasteners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well dang lol it was only a few feet away from the officers button lol. This place is a park now and has been constantly been occupied for the past 150 years. I find civil war relics, barber coins v nickles, buffaloes, Indians, horse shoes, and so on. There were 3 con federated camps in the area. I wish I could hunt the other side on the big hill, but it is now the old city golf course

Upvote 0
I know there has to be older coins as well

Upvote 0
The modern day snaps are not that pointed, if what you found is a snap stud it may very well be from a Civil War holster, saddlebag, satchel, or whatever.

Upvote 0
I was going to ask if it could be from the time period lol I may just go to the country club and ask permission. They sit on the highest point and I think that has to be where the main camp spot was. I found most of the relics going down the smaller hill in wash out spots

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back