Civil war bullet stash that I forgot I had!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't go to work today due to the snow and ice we got last night.Got bored and went out to the garage.Started going through some old boxes and found these.I knew I had them, but couldn't remember where they were.There was also a jar of flat buttons in there.I really need to go through these and pick out the oddball stuff! Anyways, It sure brought back good memories! garage bullets 011.jpggarage bullets 001.jpggarage bullets 002.jpggarage bullets 003.jpggarage bullets 004.jpggarage bullets 005.jpggarage bullets 006.jpggarage bullets 007.jpggarage bullets 008.jpggarage bullets 009.jpggarage bullets 010.jpg I guess I need look through,and research some of these as I have no idea what the one with the rounded rings and the fins in the base is! Maybe you guys can help!

Upvote 4
The Minie balls, similar to yours, had hollow bases to allow the powder gasses to expand the bullet sidewalls into the rifling grooves. In that hollow base, there could be several items cast into the bullet, including a number, a plain hollow with no marking, or a star... which would be similar to what you have. I'm not sure those are fins, but certainly could be a 4 pointed star molded into the hollow. The cast rings on the exterior facilitated the bullets' "GRIP" in the rifling. Those grooves were also used to capture grease... similar to cast lead bullets today that use wax as a lubricant. The 3 ring is probably one of the most common, used by both North and South. There is a similar with only 2 rings, which is called a Gardner, used by the South to a great extent.

Last edited:
You would need to get a diameter on the bullet to be precise. There is a .577 caliber US bullet that looks similar, called a Swaged-5. Depends on the diameter and how many points on the star. Weight would help also.

Dang man, you made me go try and find it again! :laughing7: It measured out at .580 weight was 492.4 grs. on my RCBS 505 scale ( part of the skirt is missing on the bullet) I've got a couple with stars cast in the base, but this one appears to have actual raised fins. At least 4 maybe 5 . Oh yeah, while I was digging through that one container I found this Gardner with really deep rifling,and also appears to have had another round loaded on top of it before it was fired.031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG

The specs on the bullet I think it may be as follows:

DIA. .568, Length: 1.080, WGT: 531

.577 caliber and it is a five point star US Cartridge.

Most definitely it is a .577 caliber, but it could be .58 caliber. My specs show 4 different ones with the 5 point star. The .58 caliber has a length of 1.124 and a weight of 553

All of them show weights of over 500 grains.

That Gardner with the ram rod marks is often like that on the base. It looks like the base is two pieces but think it was poured that way. I have a few just like it.

Last edited:
The specs on the bullet I think it may be as follows:

DIA. .568, Length: 1.080, WGT: 531

.577 caliber and it is a five point star US Cartridge.

Most definitely it is a .577 caliber, but it could be .58 caliber. My specs show 4 different ones with the 5 point star. The .58 caliber has a length of 1.124 and a weight of 553

All of them show weights of over 500 grains.
Sorry Pointman, I forgot to mic the length. I had to get the heck out of the garage. It was just too dang cold! Anyways,thanks for the info. ***mr.b

damn I hope I can find at least one jar full like yours in my lifetime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back