Civil War Brass Eagle

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I went out detecting an very old house seat this weekend here in Eastern Kentucky. Found this brass eagle. I looked it up and it says its from the Civil War, but that sounds almost too good to be true. I would really appreciate any help in identifying what it is exactly. Below are pictures of it front and back. Thanks!

brass%20plate2%20resized.gif

brassplateback%20resized.gif

Upvote 0
Thanks Kuger! I was really hoping to hear that. We were not there 20 minutes when I found it. We are going back this evening, so hopefully there are some more goodies hiding in the dirt.

You will do well there....it is obviously virgin!!!!!!

Actually, what you have is BETTER than a breastplate. It's an NCO's Sword belt plate! I can tell by the three-pronged attachment on the back. Congratulations, that's fine Civil War artifact!

Thanks Thommy. Someone said it may be an earlier breast plate, but both it and the sword loop have the three prongs. Is there a way to know for sure?

Went back to the site where I found the Brass Eagle. One says "BIG 3 Cincinnati," which Im sure is not extremely old. Another says "AJ Town Co. Boston," which I read on here says was made between the 1870s and around 1946. The other button I cant make out. Seems like there is something on it but cant tell what.

Buttons.gif

Beautiful breast plate!!!

NCO plate image:NCO_Eaglebreastplate.jpg

Enlisted Breast plate:Enlisted_Breastplate.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back