Civil War battlefields

I hunt right up to the battlefield at Antietam,and yes they are clearly marked with NPS Boundary sign's and you DO NOT want to cross the fence.....As far as the Visitor's Center I really can't answer that,to me they're kinda funny.

Here in NC portions of the battlefields are state owned and other are owned by a private "trust" and the rest privately owned. The state owned portions & trust owned are clearly marked and I wouldn't cross them, I'd stay back a short distance just to be certain, they usually are not fenced.

As for asking at the visitors center, haven't done it but I don't imagine they would be too interested in helping you since some of them probably have archeology backgrounds and they detest detectorists...

Ignorance is definately no excuse in this situation. And there won't be any grace. They'll stick it to ya. So always know the boundaries even if they aren't marked.

Bradley137 said:
Ignorance is definately no excuse in this situation. And there won't be any grace. They'll stick it to ya. So always know the boundaries even if they aren't marked.
Amen to that. Many battlefields are now neighborhoods and are great places to hunt. The neighborhoods and old lots were often where the camp grounds and staging areas . Always know where you are hunting. I would hesitate to even get near the line of a designated park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back