Jun 29, 2012

Attachments

• image-4037859035.jpg
    image-4037859035.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-281445552.jpg
    image-281445552.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 108
It is a fragment from the fuzehole area of a cylindrical-bodied civil war artillery shell, such as a Parrott shell, although there are other types. Your frag appears to be from a large-caliber one, bigger than the very common 3"-caliber Parrott shells used in Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. Give me exact measurements (including the length of the fuzehole) and I'll tell you specifically what caliber of shell it is.

Here's a photo showing a sawed-in-half 3.67"-caliber yankee civil war Parrott shell (named for its inventor, Robert P. Parrott of New York). Note the threaded fuzehole. The fuzehole's threading is still visible on your fragment.

Attachments

• shell_halfsection_Parrott_3.67inch_Case-Shot_Short-pattern_balls-ALL-ON-ONE-SIDE_photobyRelicman.jpg
    shell_halfsection_Parrott_3.67inch_Case-Shot_Short-pattern_balls-ALL-ON-ONE-SIDE_photobyRelicman.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 0
CIVIL WAR ? You mean THE WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION - Dont you?

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
It is a fragment from the fuzehole area of a cylindrical-bodied civil war artillery shell, such as a Parrott shell. It looks to be from a large-caliber one, bigger than the very common 3"-caliber Parrott used in Sherman's Atlanta Campaign. Give me exact measurements (including the length of the fuzehole) and I'll tell you specifically what caliber of shell it is.

Cool-the fuze-hole is 2 3/4" long and the piece is 3" wide and looks to me it would take 4 or 5 pieces to be complete-thanks!

Upvote 0
Citiboy289 wrote:
> CIVIL WAR ? You mean THE WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION - Dont you?

Actually, in 1861-65 (and afterward), the Confederates themselves called it the 2nd American Revolution. So that is what I call it whem I'm talking to people who care about the genuine Historical facts. It was fought for the very same reasons as the 1st American Revolution. But that is NOT a topic for discussion in this forum. Please, let's not draw the TreasureNet Moderators down on us. So that's all I'll say here on the subject... except, look at the Location given in my profile. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Southernrelics wrote:
> the fuze-hole is 2 3/4" long.

That is too long for a 3"-caliber Parrott shell... but it is correct for a 3.67"-caliber Parrott (also called a "20-pounder" Parrott). Sherman's artillerymen used lots of that kind around Atlanta. Back in the 1970s I managed to dig several of those myself. mostly around Kennesaw Mountain.

If I may ask, what area did you find yours at? I'm asking because the only yankee artillery unit which had 20-pounder Parrott Rifles at the Kennesaw Mountain battle was Capt. DeGress' Illinois Battery. If your frag came from the Kennesaw area, that's the only battery who could have fired it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Southernrelics wrote:
> the fuze-hole is 2 3/4" long.

That is too long for a 3"-caliber Parrott shell... but it is correct for a 3.67"-caliber Parrott (also called a "20-pounder" Parrott).

Thanks-Im still learning and this is a great help.

Upvote 0
I got down to Georgia in 1993 , the area outside of Kennesaw MT battlefield was still pretty undeveloped Go through it today the park is almost surrounded by Shopping Centers , strip malls and subdivisions --- It always makes me wonder just how many relics sit under Mc Donalds or in someones spetic tank hole --- Most of Georgia is like that but there are still some places as the march approached Kennesaw Mountain , A person I met at a store once does very well in the more rundown sections of SW Atlanta - Mostly run down homes that are rented , he does well getting the renters to say it ok to search the grounds at the homes , HE ALWYAS finds SOMETHING modern he gives to the renters - they are happy

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back