Civil War 12 lbs cannon ball -

WW1jager

Greenie
Aug 19, 2007
I may get this cannon ball from a friend of mine, whose father had collected Civil War stuff for years (mostly in or around Georgia, we are in our 50s so it have been awhile). It is solid and is 11lbs 8oz and is about 13 ¾ in a round. It have a grove cut around it ? My friend said that it is a 12 lbs Civil War cannon ball. Does it seem right to you guys (to have the grove in it)?. I do not collect Civil War stuff,but it is a neat item. He said that I could have it for 50 bucks.

Attachments

• rsz_aa_051[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_051[1].JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,298
Upvote 0
If you can get the measurments of it on here some one can tell you for sure...d2

Hi- It is solid and is 11lbs 8oz and is about 13 ¾ in( I recheck it and it is closer to13 1/2") a round. My micrometer will not open that wide. I think,I have a large pr. of caliper down in the barn,I will check in the AM. But is the grove ,which is cut all the way around it normal?

It is very Shiny, new looking. I have seen many cannon balls recovered and something about that one doesnt seem right to me, besides the obvious HUGE GRIND around it. Can you get some better pictures? Aside from that, yes, both sides used a solid 12lb cannon ball.

It may be real, but I would find out who put that grind all the way around it and why they did so.

I'd give it a definite...no.

It looks more like an ore crushing ball from a quarry.

Is it out of round?

I got the caliper, it is 4 3/16 inches round, there is some flaking, and it is not out of round. I am posting additional photos

Attachments

• rsz_aa_052[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_052[1].JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 628
  • rsz_aa_053[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_053[1].JPG
    26 KB · Views: 542
more photos

Attachments

• rsz_aa_054[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_054[1].JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 647
  • rsz_aa_058[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_058[1].JPG
    23 KB · Views: 561
  • rsz_aa_059[1].JPG
    rsz_aa_059[1].JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 615
I'd bet its a cannonball that was used as an improvised weight. The groove looks like it was handcut and would have been for a rope to go around the ball. Might have been used as a boat anchor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back