Attachments

• buton.jpg
    buton.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 265
  • buton.jpg
    buton.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Looks like a Great Seal button, depicting the Great Seal of the United states.? I don't have my book here at work, but I think they were US Army from late 1800's through WWI ???? Just soak it in olive oil for a few days and then gently use a soft toothbrush.

I looked it up and they started using them in 1902. Didn't see that backmark in the book, but that doesn't matter.

Excellent find!

HH

Lonewolfe

Hey Jim. The great seal button was started in 1902. The City Button Works company started to produce buttons in 1907. So it is sometime after that date. Nice Find. Hope that helps...Lance

Tell us your secrets, Lance.? Where did you find the backmark info on City Button Works?

Ok, I just looked at the 3 Great Seal buttons I have found, and one has the same backmark....

Oooohhh, my picture is too dark!? I can get a better one if you're interested, found it at an old schoolhouse that dates to the same period.? The button was mint until it got stepped on...

Attachments

• button-1.JPG
    button-1.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 663
  • button-2.JPG
    button-2.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 567
SugarSand said:
Tell us your secrets, Lance. Where did you find the backmark info on City Button Works?

Ok, I just looked at the 3 Great Seal buttons I have found, and one has the same backmark....

Oooohhh, my picture is too dark! I can get a better one if you're interested, found it at an old schoolhouse that dates to the same period. The button was mint until it got stepped on...

There are a number of good books on backmarks, but you can download a great list at

http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html

Hope that helps everyone...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back