✅ SOLVED Church printer plate maybe

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put this in today's finds, but cannot find anything on the net like it. It is about a half inch thick and very heavy. church and bell 006.JPG Church Hat Shop.

I found a few links to a online newspaper site which requires access to check out but it appears it may be from the 1840s . Based on O'Briens Directory from 1844 he was James Walker and his shop was on the corner of Church Alley and 2nd Street.Most likely not affiliated with the Church but named after the landmark building there on the block. Pretty cool piece, for sure. If you copy and paste this you will see it.

Christ Church, Philadelphia J. Walker Hat store, Number 1 Church Alley

In another newspaper I found an article about an attempted burglary at his store. The paper was from around 1840 or so.

DSC09738.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found a few links to a online newspaper site which requires access to check out but it appears it may be from the 1840s . Based on O'Briens Directory from 1844 he was James Walker and his shop was on the corner of Church Alley and 2nd Street.Most likely not affiliated with the Church but named after the landmark building there on the block. Pretty cool piece, for sure. If you copy and paste this you will see it.

Christ Church, Philadelphia J. Walker Hat store, Number 1 Church Alley
Oh Thank you, That is so cool to know. Found in N.J.. that is a long way by horseback.

Upvote 0
What would be real cool would be if someone could locate a link to a newspaper with this printing plate stamp in it. Another t-netter found one of my plates in a paper and it made my day!

Upvote 0
What would be real cool would be if someone could locate a link to a newspaper with this printing plate stamp in it. Another t-netter found one of my plates in a paper and it made my day!
I cleaned it and put a little oil on it with a q tip. Cannot believe the detail. I love this thing, and am thinking this is a image of Christ Church.church 003.JPGchurch 004.JPG

Upvote 0
Very impressive discovery. How did you find this? Would like to know the story on how you found it.

Upvote 0
Very impressive discovery. How did you find this? Would like to know the story on how you found it.

We were detecting a field and a man and lady stopped as asked if we could look for an ear ring she had lost in her yard. So off we went. The house was built in 1843 and they told us to go anywhere we wanted. We looked for two days for that tiny ear ring with no results. Dug every signal. She knew where she was standing when it was lost. Never did find it. So we started detecting the rest of the yard. I got a mixed loud signal on the At pro and there it was, about 4 inches down. In the same whole was the picture hanger. I showed it to the owners and they thought it was a print type because of the backward writing. We just cannot figure out why it would have been there at their home. Probably close to a hundred miles from Phila. in those days.

Upvote 0
We were detecting a field and a man and lady stopped as asked if we could look for an ear ring she had lost in her yard. So off we went. The house was built in 1843 and they told us to go anywhere we wanted. We looked for two days for that tiny ear ring with no results. Dug every signal. She knew where she was standing when it was lost. Never did find it. So we started detecting the rest of the yard. I got a mixed loud signal on the At pro and there it was, about 4 inches down. In the same whole was the picture hanger. I showed it to the owners and they thought it was a print type because of the backward writing. We just cannot figure out why it would have been there at their home. Probably close to a hundred miles from Phila. in those days.

Yes that is the historic church on the plate. Merchants who could afford to make these elaborate plates would make several and send them out to select cities or towns that may have possible customers. Some would lend out the plate as well. Either way, it was the way of modern advertising where these plates helped spread word of their goods. I would check local papers from the town where you found it (from mid 1840s) if that is possible...who knows it may appear in print there. Once again, a Great Find you got there!

Upvote 0
I'll have to agree with villagenut, they would send the type set/plate to different areas to get the local presses to make the flyers etc and in this case wasn't returned. I would do like VN said and check listings of that era you may find it which would be a great addition to this story

Upvote 0
Thank you all. Am going to do some searching at the historical S. and newspaper archives around our town. Will keep you posted. These were all Quaker settlements.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back