CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS TOKEN

ChelleyFae

Feb 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chris2.jpgchris.jpg
I've been trying to find some information online about this token, but can't seem to get anywhere.
Does anyone have any ideas for me? ... or might someone be able to tell me if it has any value?

SIDE 1: CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS 1492 - 1892
PICTURE IS BUST FACING LEFT

SIDE 2: THIS MEDAL IS MADE OF NEW METAL
TASTELESS - ODORLESS
- SONOROUS -
DUCTILE
- MALLEABLE-
ALUMINUM (IN LARGE LETTERS)
1/4 WT. OF SILVER
SP. GR. 260 (60 IS UNDERLINED)
DOES NOT TARNISH

ANY IDEAS??

Last edited:
Chelley--This is a "So-Called Dollar" from the World's Columbian Exposition held in Chicago in 1892-3. In the Hibler-Kappen book of So-Called Dollars, this is #160 and is stated to be "very scarce". Aluminum was considered a precious metal prior to the discovery of the electrolytic process of extracting it from its ore in 1888. The Columbian Exposition is considered to be the beginning of the general use of aluminum in coins, medals, tokens, etc. Many different pieces were struck and were sold as souvenirs at the Exposition. Explore this site for a picture of H-K 160 and for other information about So-Called Dollars.
John in the Great 208

Thanks so much! :o)

I am still not seeing a value assigned. Perhaps there isn't much of one ...

The So-Called Dollar book is from 1963 so I didn't quote the dollar value stated in it ($27.50). I don't know what today's going rate might be. You could keep an eye on eBay or do a little Internet searching and contact the collectors with SCD web sites.
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back