CHINESE FOO DOG? CLAY/POTTERY FIGURE w/UNUSUAL HOLES IN FEET REAL DEAL?

miamibeachcg

Mar 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a thrift store I go to regularly because it's near a rich sub division of Miami & gets a lot of high end donations (I found a pencil signed Salvador Dali for $29 once - and got it for 1/2 price because it was 55 & older day).
It is 6 1/2" long x 6" high and has unusual holes in the bottom of it's feet. I've seen pottery with holes I'm assuming is to let gas escape as it bakes? But never anything like this.
Anyone have any idea what it is or why the holes are in each foot?
Is it a antique or a tourist piece?
I appreciate any help.
AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE STATUE CHINESE LION 1AA_AA.jpgAA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE STATUE CHINESE LION 1AAAA.jpgAA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE STATUE CHINESE LION 3AA.jpgAA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE STATUE CHINESE LION 4AA.jpgAA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE STATUE CHINESE LION 5AAA.jpg

It's definitely not a Chinese Foo Dog that's for sure as Foo Dog's have curly ears and don't look anything like that. The photos say that it's a Chinese Lion and new? As for its age it's hard to tell from the photos but I highly doubt it's antique. It also has holes on its rear flanks which leads me to believe it's an incense burner.

Upvote 0
The tail is attached to the back forming a kind of a handle.

This leads me to believe it is a replica of a so called aquamanile (an antique vessel for hand washing).

look here for this category: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquamanile

Why replica? -> The additional holes in the feet renders it useless as any kind of vessel!

Of cause just my personal speculation.

Regards

Namxat

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back