chewed button???

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
I recently dug this badly deformed button and didn't realize it was a Confederate lined "I" until I had examined it a couple of times. I'm probably wrong, but I could swear I see tooth marks on this button not unlike the chewed bullets I find from time to time. The button was dug in soft ground, and I don't see how this type of damage could have occurred there--perhaps it occurred earlier and then was lost where I dug it .
The button was photographed with oblique light so it would show up better. Without the light, unless you're really looking for it, the "I" is almost invisible.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a "chewed" button. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it sure looks like a possibility to me. What do you think?--chewed on, or damaged in some other way? Thanks!

Attachments

• P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 346
  • P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
That is indeed a sweet button. But to get any bite pressure you would have tooth marks on the other side too. I say no bite. Funny indention though, the back is nearly perfect. :icon_scratch:

Funny things happen once they hit the ground. Maybe the rest of the army ran over it?

Dave44 said:
That is indeed a sweet button. But to get any bite pressure you would have tooth marks on the other side too. I say no bite. Funny indention though, the back is nearly perfect. :icon_scratch:

Funny things happen once they hit the ground. Maybe the rest of the army ran over it?

Thanks Dave44-the fact that the back isn't dented is so obvious that it never occurred to me! I think you're right--it got "runded" over by something!

dirtfisher1127 said:
Dave44 said:

Thanks Dave44-the fact that the back isn't dented is so obvious that it never occurred to me! I think you're right--it got "runded" over by something!

No problem. I love the button, I found a Script I a few years ago in a lot worse shape than yours. Keep'em coming.

Dave44 said:
dirtfisher1127 said:
Dave44 said:

No problem. I love the button, I found a Script I a few years ago in a lot worse shape than yours. Keep'em coming.
Thanks, Dave. I LOVE hunting for CW relics. Although I'm in an area of Central Virginia where no battles occurred, I still manage to find both Union and Confederate items--often side by side! I guess soldiers brought them back with them after the war and then lost them in various places. Just before Sunday's snow, I was hunting a new area (old homesite) and found about 20 flat buttons, a Union cuff Dragoon, a coat- sized Infantry, and last but not least, a beautiful forest green patina Confederate cast "I". So far, I have found at least one button example of every Confederate state except Texas, Florida, Arkansas, and Kentucky within a ten mile radius of home! P.S.--I'm retired and I DO spend lots of hours in the field!

That is where I find most of mine too. Found a 1 piece Va. button a few feet from a 2 piece US general service button,, Seems to happen alot.

Cool button, only if it could talk lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back