Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First the tank is doing a great job. Thanks to all who steered me to do it right.
16 more morels. A few are more yellow than gray. I was dressed properly, including heavy gloves. It was still like a blood letting ceremony! The multi flora rose is vicious. I took time to weigh my 2 day finds. 37 total morels. Combined weight is 11.75 oz. Looks like supper tonight and tomorrow.🤤

Attachments

• D43D6D84-A0AE-487F-8974-F0CF582A221C.jpeg
    D43D6D84-A0AE-487F-8974-F0CF582A221C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
Upvote 11
I've never eaten a morel. I think only Chantrelles and Honey mushrooms grow here.
I truthfully don’t know that they are any better than portobellos, chanterelles, etc. I think the short season and rarity make them “taste better.” LOL Think how much better a steak would taste if you could only have one in April. The mind is a tricky thing. That said, I still love my morels.🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

Good to hear you got the electrolysis tank sorted.
Well done on the foraging of the Morels.
I’m a dyed-in-the-wool repurposer. I found a few big rusty spikes while swinging the Simplex. I wire brushed both ends of one and it is my sacrificial positive rod in the tank. Im not a hoarder by any means, but I hate wanton waste of resources. I use fish guts, scales, bones etc in my garden. Our garbage man has to wonder on Mondays. Our garbage is extremely small. We’re allowed two 20 gallon bags/week. I use 1 every 4-5 weeks.

I truthfully don’t know that they are any better than portobellos, chanterelles, etc. I think the short season and rarity make them “taste better.” LOL Think how much better a steak would taste if you could only have one in April. The mind is a tricky thing. That said, I still love my morels.🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
The taste of them also depends on how they are prepared and cooked. There of a number of yummy ways to do that.

And... don't ask me how to do that because I'm not the cook in the family!

I’m a dyed-in-the-wool repurposer. I found a few big rusty spikes while swinging the Simplex. I wire brushed both ends of one and it is my sacrificial positive rod in the tank. Im not a hoarder by any means, but I hate wanton waste of resources. I use fish guts, scales, bones etc in my garden. Our garbage man has to wonder on Mondays. Our garbage is extremely small. We’re allowed two 20 gallon bags/week. I use 1 every 4-5 weeks.
You kind of sound like us. We put a large bag out every 5-6 weeks. We pay $2.50 per tag and allowed 42lbs per bag. Free recycling 3 bags a week. That is a 4-6+ week thing also.

The taste of them also depends on how they are prepared and cooked. There of a number of yummy ways to do that.

And... don't ask me how to do that because I'm not the cook in the family!
I’m the cook (the last 17 years) I like the dip in egg, roll in crushed saltines and skillet sauté in butter.

First the tank is doing a great job. Thanks to all who steered me to do it right.
16 more morels. A few are more yellow than gray. I was dressed properly, including heavy gloves. It was still like a blood letting ceremony! The multi flora rose is vicious. I took time to weigh my 2 day finds. 37 total morels. Combined weight is 11.75 oz. Looks like supper tonight and tomorrow.🤤
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I remember when I was a kid I brought a bunch of them home and they never got eaten. They ended up in the compost pile. For the next few years there were morels growing next to the compost pile where there was once an elm tree. I always used to see them near dead elm trees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back