Celts and adze bits

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Ive lately become confused on which tool is a Celt and which is an adze. I know celts went through a Handle and adze bits were wrapped. What do you guys call these two pieces?

image-1458221263.jpg

image-1725576454.jpg

image-1580390769.jpg

Upvote 0
I would state that adze bits do NOT have to be curved, in fact if they are curved I'd call it a gouge. All the adzes I've found (shell), the bit is not curved, but the body of the tool sometimes is. Adzes are for removing wood, not chopping, and the bit is beveled (on only one side of the bit).
I detest the term celt because I feel it too broad a term. It's either an axe or an adze.

tomclark said:
I would state that adze bits do NOT have to be curved, in fact if they are curved I'd call it a gouge. All the adzes I've found (shell), the bit is not curved, but the body of the tool sometimes is. Adzes are for removing wood, not chopping, and the bit is beveled (on only one side of the bit).
I detest the term celt because I feel it too broad a term. It's either an axe or an adze.

Me to brother. Celt could be any number of ungrooved things. You do agree mine are native American though?

I think so. Looks like damaged/bashed axe or maybe preform axe. They usually finish off smoothing the abraded/ground lines on the sides before use and that bit looks like it's been through hale or wasn't finished, was pecking it into shape....? I can only guess, would love to hold and look at items like that in my hand. That other piece is quite interesting I'd like to see a closer pic of the left side of it...

tomclark said:
I think so. Looks like damaged/bashed axe or maybe preform axe. They usually finish off smoothing the abraded/ground lines on the sides before use and that bit looks like it's been through hale or wasn't finished, was pecking it into shape....? I can only guess, would love to hold and look at items like that in my hand. That other piece is quite interesting I'd like to see a closer pic of the left side of it...

The large one has been hit by a tractor. The smaller, I'll get you pics soon. I have another to post in question. My pops said is just a rock. I'm not sure , here goes nothing !!

image-358008698.jpg

image-3557687746.jpg

image-3009480621.jpg

image-1588880440.jpg

well put Tom. Shell was being used as a replacement material. The task was the same..so the manufacture was as well.

Last edited:
This is an old one. The last pic that I have posted here has made it's way outdoors. Never figured out what it was. I'm thinking natural.

i know this is an old thread, but most adze do have a curved leading edge because they are beveled on that edge, and rounded on top. Beveling does create a curvature, but does not mean it is a gouge.
Now I'm speaking of ground stone tools, not flaked. The adze and the gouge are both woodworking tools. Here are 2 examples that will illustrate the difference in appearance between these 2 related woodworking tools. On the left a hardstone adze, beveled business end, no trough. On the right, a plain gouge with full length trough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 142
Seems the most clear term describing the bit without confusion may be centered VS off centered. Concave or curved doesn't seem the best term to me since it is just a side effect more or less.. since the curve was there to start with on a celt or adze because of the round shape of the piece before it was finished by adding the bit.....and based on whether or not the bit was going to be centered determined the final shape.... a gouge is a whole different story because it was purposely done... But what do I know?

Last edited:
Head on. The beveled business end isn't really a side effect, it was manufactured that way to produce an adze bit, which will become more pronounced through usage, but it's there from the start if it's going to function as an adze and not a gouge. Beyond that, what do I know? Always far more unknown then known in my own experience. These types of ground stone woodworking tools are more common in the Northeast then many other regions, so I've seen a lot of them, but I am no expert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back