IMG_3001.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_3000.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 329
well, they look cast and not stamped, so that would indicate not real.

Upvote 0
​Hi Folks Trinkets from a modern witch craft shop ? tinpan

Upvote 0
They don't have a very 'real look' & if the are Celtic (or copying) I have no idea which country it is. You can exclude Britain in the search.

Upvote 0
I don't know if yours is real or not, but it is patterned after this coin:

Authentic Ancient Coin of:
Greek Kingdom of Macedonia
Philip II - King of Macedon: 359-336 B.C.
CELTS of EASTERN EUROPE, Imitation
Silver Tetradrachm 25mm (13.84 grams) Struck circa 300-200 B.C.
Reference: Vgl. OTA 14/3. BMC - . Vgl. Dembski 961. Vgl. Slg. Lanz 359. 13,98g. St. 9. Vorzüglich.
Laureate head of Zeus right.
ΦΙΛΙΠΟ, Nude youth on horse galloping right, holding palm branch over horse's head, dolphin below horse.
* Numismatic Note: The Celts of Eastern Europe imitated ancient Greek coins of the time period, this one of Philip II. King Philip II of Macedonia was father of Alexander the Great and his coins referred to his Olympic victory.
Don..........

Upvote 0
They look to maybe be reproductions of a Greek/Macedonian Philip II strike. 350 BC +/- One Tetradrachm.
philipII-GV0675.jpg
9257740_3s.jpg

Upvote 0
We have got some too

Amazing! We have been puzzling over two identical coins found by detectorists here in Southern Netherlands. The image on one face of the coins is clearly a copy of the Philip II tetradrachm but the other side should be the head of Zeus but is another horseman.The archeologists were excited to find a Celtic imitation of a Greek coin but the numismatists have been screaming fake. Our coins were found near Hoogeloon and Helmond in Noord-Brabant. Any Dutch connections in Oz???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
are there any pictures?...that would be interesting

Upvote 0
IMO, looks cast due to the rounded edges in the design
don't think you can achieve that look buy stamping
Have to agree they have a fake look to them, but im no expert
good luck
Brady

Upvote 0
These have been reported on several forums from 2010 and the conclusion is that they are cast fantasy coins made for the tourist trade in the 20th century.
Reports are from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Netherlands and France. The condition can vary from good to very worn. On some coins
the wheel-shaped shield on the left-facing horse is no longer visible.

Upvote 0
My father has found this same coin, located in Blenheim, New Zealand, by a river when he was excavating for a small bedroom extension.

Any other info, or some link on these other people that have found them, and how it's came to be thought they are tourist trade coins would be awesome.

Upvote 0
The most authoritative review I have found was on the eFollis website http://efollis.com/cgi-bin/ef/coins?main_answer=30&main_ss_id=293 where they were looking at one of these coins found in Italy. As far as I can see no genuine Celtic coin has ever been found on an authenticated Celtic site with a horseman on both sides. I saw the posting about the Blenheim find several weeks ago and added to a similar thread on the Australian fossicking forum about a find near Melbourne. They also believed that it was fantasy coin. It is still fascinating how a tourist souvenir can come to be so widely spread.

Upvote 0
I THINK IT IS A TOSS UP . LOVE THEM CELTICS AND THE MANY FIGURES , FACES AND DESIGNS THAT ARE RELATED TO THE COIN.

Upvote 0
I think it's a fantasy piece.
Most Philip II horseback rider coins show the horse on the reverse moving right; rarely do you see the horse moving left. More importantly, I've never seen a Philip II coin without the image of a person or a god on the obverse side of the coin; and never with a horse (only) on both sides.
Don.....just my opinion

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back