Celtic Coin?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted this before but still haven't gotten a clear answer so thought I would try again. I found this coin on a beach on the east coast of France in 1995. I have searched all over the internet trying to find a coin like it but have not been able to. It is about the size of a penny and weighs 5g. It appears to be either bronze or plated. The front (pictured below) has what appears to be a prancing horse and the reverse is convex or rounded. If you have any idea of origin or age I would appreciate any information.

Thanks for looking!

Don

Attachments

• celtic.jpg
    celtic.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 322
  • celtic.jpg
    celtic.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 299
here are 2 new scans and few pictures.

Attachments

• celtic 006.jpg
    celtic 006.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 269
  • celtic 005.jpg
    celtic 005.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 271
  • celtic 002.jpg
    celtic 002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 254
  • celtic 003.jpg
    celtic 003.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 263
  • celtic 001.jpg
    celtic 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
and the rest of the pics

Attachments

• celtic 008.jpg
    celtic 008.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 278
  • celtic 007.jpg
    celtic 007.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 260
  • celtic 009.jpg
    celtic 009.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
Downindixie I have been to every Celtic site I could find and still couldn't find an image of my coin. Dugfinds sent me an email address for a celtic expert so I sent him the pics I have posted here, I hope he can help me to identify it.

Thanks for link, I will add it to my favorites, it has lots of pictures.

Upvote 0
Gosh, its hard to tell from the pics. I'd say its bronze all right, and most likely Celtic, although it could be from somewhere in the near-east like from the Bizantene Empire.

Upvote 0
Well I got an email back with some info about this coin. I thought I would paste it in here to share with everyone. Thanks for looking.

hello Don,

thanks for your message. I think I can identify the coin. It's a cast bronze (or 'potin') coin from the early first century BC, probably produced by a tribe called the Sequani in what was then eastern Gaul. Nowadays they're found quite widely in eastern France and into Switzerland, Germany and Luxembourg.

The reverse (with the horned horse, with its tail raised) is in quite good condition for this type. The obverse should have a head facing left on it, though it's rather difficult to see here. There's a good example here: http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/vso/v15/fr/monnaiesc6ae.html?depart=889&nbfic=1515

if you click on precedent or suivant at the top of that page you should be able to see quite a few more examples. I think the colouring of yours is mostly due to corrosion, though there is quite a lot of variation in the colours on the examples on that website.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there's any more information I can add.

best wishes
Philip

Upvote 0
It's great that you were able to get an identification for the coin. I continue to be amazed at the knowledge and connections of the folks on TNet.

Congrats on finding such an old coin! I'd be ecstatic to find a 200 year old coin - much less a 2000+ year old coin.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back