Cellar sings the blues from Japan.

firedigger

Feb 28, 2011
Hoover, AL
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow x2
My youngest son and I returned to the long time gone coal mining community yesterday to hunt around some old root cellars. Found several items that i'm not sure what they are. Coolest find was "made in Japan" Hohner harmonica side. Now, i know your thinking, "what's so cool about that?" The Hohner Marine Band is the #1 all time harmonica sold and was made in Germany since the mid 1800's, the in the US later in the early 1900's. During WWII Hohner in Germany was recruited to produce detonators for the German war machine, and the US was low on materials used in the production of harmonica's due to the war effort, so production was halted. Japan continued to produce Harmonica's. So the question is this; How ironic is it that a WWII, US opposed Axis power (Japanese) harmonic end up in a small coal mining community in Alabama? Pretty Neat!

Attachments

• IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_8014.jpg
    IMG_8014.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
huh ill be danged, interesting. Thats a cool find. I love the mystery finds. Thanks for showing. good luck on your next dig! :headbang:

What is the item in the third photo?
I've dug one of those out here in Denver awhile back, and have no clue what it's for.
Nice digs,
Carl

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
What is the item in the third photo?
I've dug one of those out here in Denver awhile back, and have no clue what it's for.
Nice digs,
Carl

Not sure, had a farmer tell me that it was the back of an old carbide miners head lamp, but I have not had time to research it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back