Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings! I was able to get out for a 3 hour hunt earlier this morning. As I was slogging through a new set of woods, I came across a cellar hole.

DSC02357.JPG

I'm sure this site has been detected in the past, but I was still able to sniff out some nice items in pretty close proximity to the hole. The first decent find was a knee buckle, followed by what I think was a pin of some sort.

DSC02349.JPG
DSC02368.JPG
DSC02365.JPG

Next was a Matron Head LC ( 10.4 g, 29 mm). You can almost see the date..I'm guessing its 1818.

DSC02356.JPG
DSC02383.JPG
DSC02387.JPG

I rounded the day out with a couple of buttons...and the normal pile of trash...

DSC02380.JPG
DSC02360.JPG

A very enjoyable hunt all around! Thanks for looking! HH.

DSC02394.JPG

Upvote 64
You sure find a lot of great buckles. Love that LC too. That looks like a great place to detect. The hole I just searched around was barely detectable due to the growth and thorns. That place looks reasonable. Good luck there on your next trip.

I'd say you found a fresh site there! Almost any metal detector will sniff out a large cent, unless it was a foot deep or something. I doubt it would have been there if any competent detectorist hit it previously. You also get a gold star for braving the oppressive humidity and bugs. Great job finding this site, and nice recoveries!

Greetings! I was able to get out for a 3 hour hunt earlier this morning. As I was slogging through a new set of woods, I came across a cellar hole.

View attachment 2091841

I'm sure this site has been detected in the past, but I was still able to sniff out some nice items in pretty close proximity to the hole. The first decent find was a knee buckle, followed by what I think was a pin of some sort.

View attachment 2091837View attachment 2091838View attachment 2091839

Next was a Matron Head LC ( 10.4 g, 29 mm). You can almost see the date..I'm guessing its 1818.

View attachment 2091842View attachment 2091843View attachment 2091844

I rounded the day out with a couple of buttons...and the normal pile of trash...

View attachment 2091845View attachment 2091846

View attachment 2091847
Great hunt congrats.

I'd say you found a fresh site there! Almost any metal detector will sniff out a large cent, unless it was a foot deep or something. I doubt it would have been there if any competent detectorist hit it previously. You also get a gold star for braving the oppressive humidity and bugs. Great job finding this site, and nice recoveries!
Thanks rhedden. I agree with your comment about the large cent. It was a very obvious signal. To be fair, it was probably 100 feet from the cellar hole, but hard to miss. The humidity and the bugs ( ohhh the bugs) were pretty awful. I will definitely be revisiting this site, but may wait for the conditions to improve a bit.

View attachment 2091841

View attachment 2091847
Great finds! Love the imagery on old coins like the one you recovered....dumb question but was a knee buckle worn on the knee?

Great finds...the history is here in Massachusetts!

View attachment 2091841

View attachment 2091847
Very nice recoveries. Congratulations

Great finds! Love the imagery on old coins like the one you recovered....dumb question but was a knee buckle worn on the knee?

Great finds...the history is here in Massachusetts!
Thanks Coinstar Magnet! Here's an image of how knee buckles were worn back in the day:

800px-Ralph_Earl_-_Elijah_Boardman_-_WGA7452.jpg

According to the Fugawee website:

"These buckles look like the shoe buckles except that they are sized to fit the strap at the knee. They have a T-shaped hook to go through the single button hole in the main part of they knee strap. The two prongs then go through the fabric of the strap. This also works on brain-tan breeches without damaging the leather."

We are certainly lucky to recover these types of items in good ole Massachusetts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back