cast iron soldier / statue

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
this is my best find yet ;D, i found a small cast iron ( i think) toy soldier or statue along a stone wall, out behind a church, it's about 4" tall, it has a sort of flat top hat like present day officers dress cap, it doesn't have a rifle, but it may have a holstered sidearm ( a rust blister is in the way,i can't tell), almost looks to be standing at attention but right leg is back and arched a bit.
does anyone have pic's of or links for anthing like this that i can compare it to, i'm guessing it's probably from the about 1900 - 1920's ?, my wife is borrowing a digital disc camera, so if i can figure out how to do it, i'll post a picture of it later tonight.

Pat.

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is either, Lobsterman. One thing I do know for sure...If there was a prize for descriptive writing...You would win it. You guys without cameras are cracking me up with your descriptions. :D :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't help you. I could harass you, though!

well she got the camera, and i got the pic. onto a floppy and into the computer, at 3 places... my documents,photo shop,and email. and i tried repeatedly to post it last night but i can't figure out how to do it ???
is there somewhere on the forum that tells you how to post pics. ? if not perhaps i could email someone the pic to post it ?

i forgot to ask, what would be a good way to clean or preserve this crusty little fellow ?, i have read some people mentioning soaking items in olive oil is that a good idea ? i had only rinsed it in fresh water.

also, i don't think it's a sidearm, as it is on its left side,

Sounds interesting. Hope you can get the picture up soon.

Good hunting!

well after thinking about it for a while, i've come to the conclusion that it isn't a gun as the rust blister is on the left side and if it were a holster it would probably be on the right hand side.

also i'm not even sure it's a soldier at all, as i don't think those types of hats were used in the military back then, does anyone know what other industries had a figure associated with wearing that type of hat ? ( like the milkman, iceman, bus driver, or something ?.

Pat.

one more attempt at posting a pic.

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 211
Grats on your pic post Pat,just got your PM this AM.Cant help with the ID but its a neat find Good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back