Carved silver ore or galena artifact

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Received a metal detector for my birthday and decided to give it a try. Found this in one of our horse pastures at about 8 inches deep. It looked very black and rusted so I cleaned it off a bit with the brush on my dremel tool. It looks like it has some type of design like sun rays maybe. It is broken, but the piece is about 1.5 x 1.5 inches. The edge looks burnt. There were some charcoal looking bits in the red dirt. The back is concave and it is overall very lumpy with bits of whatever the material is. It is pretty lightweight, not heavy like an iron horseshoe. It almost looks like galena which we have found elsewhere on our farm, but they were raw chunks and very very shiny. It did not stick to the magnetic pan I keep nails in. Looks a little like some pics of raw silver ore. We have found a redstone, an adena, a Kirk notched point, scrapers, and lithic debris around our farm, but this was in a different area. There is a historic civil war site about a mile from us. I have no idea what this could be, but it doesn't appear natural at all. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3347.JPG
    IMG_3347.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
very hard to say...could be something but most likely nothing....i see the lines but those could be just (oddly) natural. As an artifact, i see no purpose...and the back is rough and untouched.

Upvote 0
Looks like a spider on the one side youll have to clean it up a little better Cool find

Upvote 0
Looking further at this odd piece I'm wondering if it is some natural ..."thing"...from a type of mineral. There was another little blob near it and when I cleaned it up a bit it looked like little blobs of stuck together, oddly shaped, almost melted looking dull metal. Nothing magnetic. Really strange find. Thanks for your guesses!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back