Carnie action slows to crawl

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotta get a new line of digs. The carnie scene has been anemic this year. With a couple exceptions, most all have been busto including two this morning. The insurance costs for carnies have been upped to the point where it's a probably an easier choice to skip it and save for a trip to the big park for the average family. In earlier years, going back 15 and more, it was no problem to pick up 50 bucks in an hour or two at multiple sites throughout the summer. Today's haul at one site that used to be rich was 11 cents. Given that I wasn't digging any of the subsurface signals, it could have been more but time constraints kept me off my knees.

Now cry me a river.

Meanwhile, back at the parkway digs this weekend I did liberate an ungodly number of mems and low end clad, another reason I did not want to dig at the carnie site, the outcome would represent predictable returns with high confidence. That means lots o' grass turned for mems.

Totlots have been clad-handy this year, but what's with all this year's heart charms? Love is in the air? I gotta have two pockets full by now. Can I trade 'em for some lovin'? Oh that river's gettin' up on the banks... Grab a tissue.

Now go get you some oldies so my vicarious needs can be fulfilled.

Now that the rides cost over $3 for 2 minutes, who can afford to go to them anymore? Last year after our Fest I showed up early to scan for quarters, and there was a line of elderly volunteers forming a chain across the site. They were picking up every tiny scrap they could find and most were having a ball, probably due to the pockets full of tax free change they were accumulating. ;D

It seems the days of coinage changing hands at individual booths around here
is now history. . . everyone pays for their roll of tickets with plastic.

When I was a kid, I had my heart set on winning a chrome-plated .22 pump action
rifle. . . all you had to do was completely shoot out a small area on a target.
I must have spent three-weeks worth of allowance trying to win that Winchester :P

I would love to have hunted that area before Kraft put their corporate offices there.

Here ya go, big guy!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Nothing happened that nurse Dixie McCall can't fix! ;D

I think we need to start our own carnival & let the little monsters throw their quarters right to us!

I wonder if the carnies comb the grounds right after they pack up the rides?
Sorry to hear it was Slim Pickins

Attachments

• slim-pickens.jpg
    slim-pickens.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 92

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back