Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, it's been a long road with many twists and turns but finally I got the low-down on this ball.

It probably isn't a real cannonball...sniff sniff :'(

I saw a shiny part so I decided to sand it and it's shiny silver metal or in other words, it looks a lot like steel.

It's probably a Ball Machine ball (ore crushing ball) someone painted to look real. I have to admit, they did a good job.

Well, that's it.

Upvote 0
Re: Cannon Ball Update

JUST IN! I just read my email and a dealer says my ball is a naval BIG gun "grapeshot." He studied the picture and all the information I've posted here and elsewhere. He says it's definitely NOT an ore ball. Ore balls all have circular makings on them. This ball is a fired "grape shot." He also said the shiny silvery look would happen if I sanded an iron ball.

Well, that's it for now. Can't wait for the next email. ;D

The dealer who says it is "a large grapeshot ball" is mistaken. I can well-undestand how civil-war relic hunters, collectors, and dealers very much want every round and "round-ish" iron ball to be a valuable relic - despite any & all evidence that the iron ball they dug or bought is NOT cannon-ammunition (of any kind). Hey, I'm a relic digger/collector/dealer myself! : )
However...
(1) There were no "large grapeshot balls" that are 3.0 inches in diameter - see http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm - and please ask the dealer who emailed you to read the Grapeshot size-chart there.
(2) There were no STEEL grapeshot balls.
(3) There were no lead-filled grapeshot balls.
(4) Grapeshot balls are not "lumpy-shaped" - or, round-like-an-orange-is-"round".
(5) The MAJORITY of mill-balls/rockcrusher-balls do not have circular markings on them.

But, I now see clearly that if I continue to reply in this discussion-thread by posting Historical Data which contradicts various people's heartfelt desire that somebody's iron ball IS a real cannon/canister/grapeshot ball ...my posts will cause some people's feelings to be hurt - and possibly even outright anger. That's definitely not what I'm here to do.

Therefore, I will say no more about the E-Bay ball from a Minnesota farm-field.

Genuine regards,
TheCannonballGuy (Pete George)

TheCannonballGuy said:
The dealer who says it is "a large grapeshot ball" is mistaken. I can well-understand how civil-war relic hunters, collectors, and dealers very much want every round and "round-ish" iron ball to be a valuable relic - despite any & all evidence that the iron ball they dug or bought is NOT cannon-ammunition (of any kind). Hey, I'm a relic digger/collector/dealer myself! : )
However...
(1) There were no "large grapeshot balls" that are 3.0 inches in diameter - see http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm - and please ask the dealer who emailed you to read the Grapeshot size-chart there.
(2) There were no STEEL grapeshot balls.
(3) There were no lead-filled grapeshot balls.
(4) Grapeshot balls are not "lumpy-shaped" - or, round-like-an-orange-is-"round".
(5) The MAJORITY of mill-balls/rockcrusher-balls do not have circular markings on them.

But, I now see clearly that if I continue to reply in this discussion-thread by posting Historical Data which contradicts various people's heartfelt desire that somebody's iron ball IS a real cannon/canister/grapeshot ball ...my posts will cause some people's feelings to be hurt - and possibly even outright anger. That's definitely not what I'm here to do.

Therefore, I will say no more about the E-Bay ball from a Minnesota farm-field.

Genuine regards,

These forums aren't worth much unless there are from time to time such thought provoking discussions. I mean no disrespect, but, how many times can one post "nice clad." ;D

Thanks to all.

To all readers of this particular discussion:
I posted (above) that I would say no more about the E-Bay ball from a Minnesota farm-field.
Therefore I will simply point you to other people's posts in another Topic-area here on the Treasurenet forum. (Note that the particular balls being discussed are 3.0-inch 4-pound balls.) Any readers who want to learn additional IMPORTANT info about dug-up iron balls will find the following discussion (and photos) to be very educational. Read what's at:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,29517.0.html

MichiganBadger, again I thank you for your good-natured attitude on this subject. : )

Regards,

I have one myself with those specs and was told it was Naval cannister shot which makes sense because it was found near a river here in NC. I visited a museum in Plymouth NC and saw a circular rack of cannonballs the same size as mine. I asked the man what they were and he told me they were naval cannister shot. But when I posted a pic of it on another civil war forum most of my responses told me it was more than likely a Revolutionary War cannonball. This also makes sense as this area has Rev. War history also. The ball I have isn't smooth at all, no shiny spots as you said yours had, and has dimples all over. My Warrens Field guide also lists a 4lb solid shot from the civil war. I'll try and post a pic later.

I also got the ore ball and mill ball responses. I was told mill balls have flat spots on them which mine doesn't have.

thats too bad badger. it would have been a nice peice to a collection if it was a real cannon ball. keep searching. you might find one around there or you might have to travel father south. get with an expedition and see what yall can find. i know in missouri there's some interesting things to be found, if you just look in the right places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back