Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Found Cannonball in My Mail Box Today! (ebay purchase)

Okay all you fine southerners and corn fed northerners...what do ya think? Is this a REAL cannonball or not?

If you think not, please let me know exactly why.

I hope I don't have to take more pictures, I'm mainly an office worker these days and standing out in the parking lot taking pictures of such a heavy ball causes me to be in danger of losing weight.

Have a good UN.

M, Bad-ger

Attachments

• ball1.jpg
    ball1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 275
  • ball2.jpg
    ball2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 273
  • ball3.jpg
    ball3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
Re: Canon Ball HELP!!!!

hmmmmmm....can you explain why someone put a cannon ball in your mailbox to begin with???????? :)

Whats the exact diameter and wieght? and what was it doing in your mail box?

kenb

It was in my mail box because it was mailed to me.

Diameter is over 3 inches. I'd say closer to 3 and 1/4 inch.

The ball weighs exactly 4 lbs. 6.8 oz.

Badger, It Sure Looks Like A 4Lb. Solid Shot To Me. I Will Post The Last Three I Dug. The Two In The Rear Are CW The One In Front Is From A Rev War Site and was Heavily Rusted When Found. Hope This Helps, Good Hunting. trk5capt....

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 035.jpg
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 035.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 260

trk5capt said:
Badger, It Sure Looks Like A 4Lb. Solid Shot To Me. I Will Post The Last Three I Dug. The Two In The Rear Are CW The One In Front Is From A Rev War Site and was Heavily Rusted When Found. Hope This Helps, Good Hunting. trk5capt....

Thanks much! Do your Civil War canon balls have a deep dark patina?

This one has the most awesome patina. But then, mine was found while plowing back in the mid 1920's so it didn't have as much time to corrode.

Michigan Badger said:
trk5capt said:
YES trk5capt...

Thanks much! Do your Civil War canon balls have a deep dark patina?

This one has the most awesome patina. But then, mine was found while plowing back in the mid 1920's so it didn't have as much time to corrode.

Michigan Badger said:

Give us a contextual education here. Mailed to you on purpose? You order it? Caught you by surprise?

Looks great, btw. Nice piece.

Darren in NC said:
Michigan Badger said:

Give us a contextual education here. Mailed to you on purpose? You order it? Caught you by surprise?

Looks great, btw. Nice piece.

It was purchased off ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back