Cannon I.D.

Kiteboarderken

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2024
Hi! I found this small bronze cannon a few years ago and still have no idea where the country of origin is. I was able to determine it's age very scientifically with great accuracy. I believe it's from 1516 since its stamped right on there! There is no riffling. I have been trying to find info on that insignia but with no luck. Found a lot of old ballast bricks with a cross in them as well. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20240822_073457.jpg
    20240822_073457.jpg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20240822_073618.jpg
    20240822_073618.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20240822_073205.jpg
    20240822_073205.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG-20240822-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240822-WA0007.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 89
That is an awesome find! I don’t know much about cannons, but the general info on location and how you found it would probably go a long way helping folks ID it for you. Thanks for sharing.

There are some oddities going on with this cannon.
The first that strikes me odd is the fact the numbers are not of that period. (nor dated like this)
Second is touch hole size... it is reamed.

There are a few other things that are weirding me.

Last edited:
Touch holes are usually worn... but this one is huge... almost abnormal.
Touch holes that appear like this are often found on replicas / models / etc.
Perhaps just the picture screwing with me... things like this are much easier for me when hands on.
Not sure how it could be a replica as I found it very far from shore on a shipwreck with many artifacts including very very large cannons. I was thinking maybe a signal gun? It had a lot of coral on the surface that was cleaned off. From all the cannons that I have seen, it seems to be very well made, perhaps the pictures are crude. Not sure about the stamped date but I know cannons were repurposed many times and just because it was found on this site, doesn't necessarily mean it was originally from this ship. Really just wanted info on the insignia. Thanks for your reply though.

There are some oddities going on with this cannon.
The first that strikes me odd is the fact the numbers are not of that period. (not dated like this)
Second is touch hole size... it is reamed.

There are a few other things that are wierding me.
The touch hole is about 1/8" in diameter. The cannon isn't very big so maybe that hole looks big in the picture. Not sure what you mean by "reamed". I have no idea how the numbers were stamped and they don't look like they would have come from the time it was originally casted.

I also think it's a swivel gun. It would not have rifling in it. The number styles are 19th to 20th, century, I don't think a date. Probably the "1516" is its serial number.

Reactions: ARC
What were some of the other artifacts in the shipwreck? That would give you a general idea on an era. (Edit for spelling)

Reactions: ARC
What were some of the other artifacts in the shipwreck? That would give you a general idea on an era. (Edit for spelling)
It was a copper clad ship. Very large sheets of copper everywhere so I am unable to use my detector around the site. I posted some pics of some other items on "what is this" section of the forum. I don't think that it would be an accurate assumption that the ship is in the same era as the cannon. I could very well be, but it could have been from a much earlier era and just been recycled. I was thinking someone would recognize that crown looking insignia with the cross on top of it or tell me where to search for it.

Not sure how it could be a replica as I found it very far from shore on a shipwreck with many artifacts including very very large cannons. I was thinking maybe a signal gun?
I maybe presumptuous, but you're pretty bold posting on an open forum that you have in your possession a cannon from a shipwreck with "many artifacts". If it was me, I'd be worried that I could get a visit from the ghosts of government past, present and future...

Typically the copper sheathing would indicate British origin as the Spanish used lead to line their hulls (especially as early as the 15th century)…

As for the bronze cannon, I am in agreement with others in regards to oddities that would lead one toward it being period incorrect… the date stamp numbers are absolutely inaccurate for that period.

What do the other cannons and the wreckage look like? Any pics of those?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back