TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Japanese maachete 2.JPGJapanese Machete, Cannon Ball, my knife.JPG

Found this cannon ball in a creek bed in the bradyville Tn region of middle Tn. The machete I found in a tree line wrapped in a piece of cloth inside a rusty tin box, the leather was dirty but did clean up the machete was pretty rusted. I did some research and discovered a Utube video show an old Japanese man making this exact knife in a back alley blacksmith shop in East La. Ive since lost that video but it took him less than an hour from a simple piece of steel and hammered out this. It was a dark dirty hidden out of sight blacksmith shop.

the cannon ball Im told would be from a canister. We have a small Confederate grave yard in Beech Grove Tn (not too small maybe 100 graves marked with some history)

I still dont have my metal detector so I just watch the ground and turn over stuff with my walking stick. Cant wait till I can start digging.

Last edited:
Need you to make super-precise measurements of the iron-or-steel ball's diameter and weight (such as, 3.12-inches and 4 pounds 1 ounce) in order for use to be able to tell you with certainty whether it is an artillery ball or a civilian-usage ball. Tennessee has historically had a lot of Mining-&-Stonemilling Industry operations, which used iron or steel balls to crush big rocks into gravel.

You'll need to precisely measure the ball's diameter with a caliper or a Diamter-Tape, and weigh it on a Postal Shipping scale, because typical household bathroom weighing scales are notoriously inaccurate. To learn more, go here: SolidShotEssentialsMod

After you've got the ball's super-precise diameter and weight measurements, go to the following webpage and see if there is a match-up for your ball's diameter and weight. If it is one of the three kinds of Artillery balls (cannonball, grapeshot-ball, or canister-ammo ball), it will be:
1- within .02-inch, and
2- either the precise weight of THAT SIZE ball in the Ordnance Manual's charts or an ounce or two LIGHTER (never heavier).
To view the charts, go to: www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you foundthese w/o a MD, I can't wait to see what you find with one.!!!!

The lantern in the back I have a full picture of it somewhere I found hanging in an apple tree about 20 yds from the RR tracks, Its a conductors lantern I'll find the other picture. railroad lantern.JPG

I cant wait till I can get my detector I know there is some gold bars around her somewhere. Whats the name of the TCM movies where this old crazy farmer dug up his entire property looking for Confederate gold had all the kids (grown-ups) out there diggin to.

I just resently learned about a old gold mine from the 1920's only a few miles from where I live, its back in a hollow I know where the guy was pointing the foundations of 4 old cabins or sheds stood for the for a couple of miner families supposedly it didnt turn out any gold then theres the story about the cannons at the bottom of the shaft, I'll find out. I know the guy that owns the property he doesnt know about it yet, I dont think. he might have found it.

For just lookin fence lines, creeks. Ive found some old machete without a grip and then found a whiskey barrel stave (even charred) and made a handle for the blade and use it all the time. machete.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Need you to make super-precise measurements of the iron-or-steel ball's diameter and weight (such as, 3.12-inches and 4 pounds 1 ounce) in order for use to be able to tell you with certainty whether it is an artillery ball or a civilian-usage ball. Tennessee has historically had a lot of Mining-&-Stonemilling Industry operations, which used iron or steel balls to crush big rocks into gravel.

You'll need to precisely measure the ball's diameter with a caliper or a Diamter-Tape, and weigh it on a Postal Shipping scale, because typical household bathroom weighing scales are notoriously inaccurate. To learn more, go here: SolidShotEssentialsMod

After you've got the ball's super-precise diameter and weight measurements, go to the following webpage and see if there is a match-up for your ball's diameter and weight. If it is one of the three kinds of Artillery balls (cannonball, grapeshot-ball, or canister-ammo ball), it will be within .02-inch and an ounce or two of the ball sizes and weights given in the Ordnance Manual charts at the website. www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

I found it in the chart its from a 32l lb the ball diameter is very close to the standard and the weight is within 2 oz.

It weight right at 3.3 lbs , it seems to have a very very thin black paint mostly blotched very very faint. blends in with the rust. Thaats really a good site I got it book marked thanks Tom

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back