Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this yesterday between the large roots of a tree on a Colonial-era property. I'm not saying it's Colonial and most of my finds there have not been and have been few and far between as well.

This item is crushed, but is 3" long, is open at the bottom, seems to have been silvered or plated, appears to be copper, and was probably about 1" in diameter if it was round.

Thanks for any insight or an ID.

Attachments

• WhatIsIt-1a.jpg
    WhatIsIt-1a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 81
  • WhatIsIt-1b.jpg
    WhatIsIt-1b.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatIsIt-1c.jpg
    WhatIsIt-1c.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 95
It hints of an old capacitor. Not saying it is but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Upvote 0
Silvered? It's open on the tapered end and has a lip or sorts on the other. It's also slightly tapered.

Upvote 0
The stacked electrolytic capacitor in old radio's had a fiber or foil disc in the end. The other end was a disc too but had components connection there.
Once crushed the ends could pop out and the contents. A kid seeing whats inside or equipment roughing it up pushing earth maybe.:dontknow:

2454030200000578-0-image-m-28_1419943687674.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi RC,

Thanks for the pic. Yes I have seen these in old radios. It's a good guess as it resembles that, but I don't believe that's what it is because:

1. It's got a slight taper to it.
2. The silvering or chrome plate looks to me to be decorative and probably would not be done for an internal radio component.

I appreciate your thoughts on it though!

Upvote 0
EMF shield that once wrapped around a vacuum tube?

Upvote 0
Parasol / umbrella piece perhaps? I'm thinking of the slide/grip thingy that you pull or push to open and close it, but don't know the name of the part.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back