Cane tip...Sabbard tip....?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday in a site that has yielded many flat buttons and pewter etc. Everything appears to be very early 1800's but don't have a clue on this one. Any ideas:dontknow:
Bell's silver spoon 004.JPGBell's silver spoon 005.JPGBell's silver spoon 007.JPGBell's silver spoon 008.JPGBell's silver spoon 009.JPGBell's silver spoon 024.JPGBell's silver spoon 025.JPG

I'd claim it as a cane tip............Cool .........HH

Upvote 0
He hath spoken.....Head scratcher aint it:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Relic-ID analysis...

Material: very-thin "stamped" sheetbrass
Markings: ornate decorations
Form: tapered cylinder/tube (which has been crushed very nearly flat)
Size: tube length 1.97", diameter tapering from 5/8" down to 3/8" (I did the diameter-mathematics based on the .75"-wide US penny in the photo)

Suggested possibilities:
1- scabbard tip -- those don't have ornate decoration, and tend to be thicker metal
2- cane tip -- those sometimes have ornate decoration, but are thicker metal... and I've never seen a cane tip whose end is only 3/8" wide
3- fireplace bellows tip -- possible, but those tend not to have ornate decoration, and tend to be thicker metal
4- parasol/umbrella shaft's tip/finial -- those do tend to have ornate decoration, and to be thin sheetbrass, and taper to a very small end

So, my vote is that Donkarlos got it right. Due to its "ornateness" and small diameter, I'd say it is a Ladies' parasol shaft's tip/finial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Relic-ID analysis...

Material: very-thin "stamped" sheetbrass
Markings: ornate decorations
Form: tapered cylinder/tube (which has been crushed very nearly flat)
Size: tube length is 1.97", tapering from 5/8" down to 3/8" (I did the diameter-mathematics based on the .75"-wide US penny in the photo)

Suggested possibilities:
1- scabbard tip -- those don't have ornate decoration, and tend to be thicker metal
2- cane tip -- those sometimes have ornate decoration, but are thicker metal... and I've never seen a cane tip whose end is only 3/8" wide
3- fireplace bellows tip -- possible, but those tend not to have ornate decoration, and tend to be thicker metal
4- parasol/umbrella shaft's tip/finial -- those do tend to have ornate decoration, and to be thin sheetbrass, and taper to a very small end

So, my vote is that Donkarlos got it right. Due to its "ornateness" and small diameter, I'd say it is a Ladies' parasol shaft's tip/finial.

Quite a few of the fancy riding crops and riding whips also had ferrules like these.

Upvote 0
I've seen complete ones, & they do finish in a point or more of a dome really, I was not sure what they were. Still not.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help....narrowed her down....

Looked at it 2 times before I realized I had misspelled scabbard .....C......C.....C:read2:

Upvote 0
I thought I had found a bellows at one point and looked at a lot of images online. It's true, the common ones aren't fancy at all but there are many kinds of all shapes and sizes and designs. Makes it hard not to call everything a fireplace bellows tip now. Ha

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back