can you tell me what this was originally designed for ?

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM002383.jpg

I found this at the flea market

it's about 6" inches long, and a special locking mechanism for safety

marked:

Caution Inspect Before Each use, Gate must Close -->

USFC MADE USA , For Personnel Safety Only , 95 3155/54

Follow All Instructions, Inspect Before use, Gate must Close and Lock

is if for a safety harness or something for mountain climbers?

looks kind of like the thing Army Airborne paratroopers use to hook up before a jump?

Safety Lanyard Hook, similar to this, particularly the one on the yellow 6 foot shockcord:

XAVT7544.JPG

7259_346_large.gif

Upvote 0
82stabo.jpg

another possibility is for use with the Stabo extraction harness as used by Special Forces in Vietnam

or by USAF Loadmaster to attach to the safety harness, so they dont fall out of the aircraft during air drops of military supplies / cargo

Upvote 0
It could be used for that. I do know it's a generic type of safety hook used on climbing safety gear, for rope of nylon, not chain. I've seen the exact same hook on the standard 6' safety lanyard with shockcord. I was a straight leg line Infantryman Rifleman when I was in the Army, circa 1974 -1977, but one of these Airborn guys will chime in and set things straight.

Only you know what kind of area it was found at, You could narrow it down from that. Here's a shot of a static line hook from WW2. The following picture was copied from staticlinemilitaria dot com.
450_photo_1.jpg

Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Safety clip. Common item on the end of straps, ropes, anything that requires a clip that won't accidentally open.

Upvote 0
yes, I think it is a special safety hook for perssonel, because Ive never seen one like this with so much writing / instructions marked on it

most basic locks dont have all these markings, probably used by aviation crews

Upvote 0
I think they originated from the construction industry to prevent loads slung beneath cranes from slipping off - I have a photo of one from a book published in the US in 1920 on Preventing Industrial Accidents. Making small versions for personal use came later.

Upvote 0
Comanche Todd said:
yes, I think it is a special safety hook for perssonel, because Ive never seen one like this with so much writing / instructions marked on it

Um, see my post above.

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Comanche Todd said:

Um, see my post above.
Another one bites the dust,by Montana Jim! :) Good I.D..

Upvote 0
Hey, I think I ID'ed it in the first thread and then throughtout the post, didn't I?

Upvote 0
Ant said:
Hey, I think I ID'ed it in the first thread and then throughtout the post, didn't I?

Yes you did. Patting you on the back while saying "good ID Ant." And Montana Jim and all the rest--good job. Poor guys, need a group hug do you? LOL

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
Ant said:

Yes you did. Patting you on the back while saying "good ID Ant." And Montana Jim and all the rest--good job. Poor guys, need a group hug do you? LOL

Thanks TT. :)

Upvote 0
Ant said:
My bad.Sorry Ant,yes you did.I give credit where credit is due.I just looked at the ebay listing that Jim posted and went from there.I'm just getting used to Montana Jim doing some pretty good "whatsit" id'ing the last few months on here.Good job Ant! :) Hey T.T.-aren't you supposed to be in the "rubber room"? ;D :D ;D :D :) Just kidding.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back