Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I was on a UK metal detecting tour this March and I found this Roman grot. I've spent months trying to ID this, but my experience with anything Roman is very limited. I would love to know what this coin is for certain (including date estimate) and to see an example of what it would have looked like if it was in better condition. I'm just not sure there is enough detail shown to be able to ID the coin. The coin is currently awaiting export from the UK and I don't have any other photos available.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

romangrot.jpg

Last edited:
Don the image on the reverse seems to be a warrior facing right.....Joe McDonough

Upvote 0
Joe, I agree; this side shows a warrior facing right.
I'm asking for a pic of the coin's other side.
Don......

I have an email asking if they can send some photos of the other side. I know it's a long shot based on the condition of the coin, I was hoping someone might recognize the figure from a coin they might own or have seen before. If I get additional photos, I'll post them.

Upvote 0
That’s a super nice find. Congrats sorry can’t help with the ID.

Upvote 0
Crudad's thoughts;

''I think this is possibly an AD364-378 Dragging Captive type but overstruck with another design behind the Emperor and over the Captive.The view is close to the type depicting an Emperor advancing right, with Labarum, and dragging a captive by his head from behind him.''

Upvote 0
Crudad's thoughts;

''I think this is possibly an AD364-378 Dragging Captive type but overstruck with another design behind the Emperor and over the Captive.The view is close to the type depicting an Emperor advancing right, with Labarum, and dragging a captive by his head from behind him.''

Thank you very much for the info. :occasion14:

I'm still waiting for additional photos which I'll post once I receive them.

Upvote 0
I believe Crusader.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back