Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
If it were true, then none of us would be bothering to order boxes because there would be no silver in them. Read the archives and you'll see that this is definitely not the case.

I don't believe the Fed is culling silver. I'm finding too much of it. However, it is possible. I think weighing the coins is exactly how they would go about culling the silver out of the coin supply. People here on this forum have machines that cull copper pennies.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone would comment on a couple thoughts/observations that I have concerning coins and the Federal Reserve. I read about their envolvement here. FRB: Currency and Coin Services and believe that I have yet to see any coin come out of the Reserve in my orders of halves. I say this based upon my belief, quitely possibly erroneously, that if a box came from the reserve it would most likely have come from the US Mint. If that was the case, it would likely be packaged as having come from the mint. My boxes appear to me to be those that I would expect to get from a Armored Carrier company (Brinks, Loomis, Garda, etc.) that is running a local coin terminal. The link above does mention that the Reserve banks do store some coinage, but I suspect that little of it is shipped out to the coin terminals unless a bank that keeps its coin at the terminal orders it from the Fed.

Has anyone been in those coin terminal locations and can comment on the quantity of coins kept there, especially halves? It just seems like an expensive option to ship it to the Reserve bank only to have to ship it back to a terminal when TimZim orders 1/3 pallet at a time.

Does anyone know if NIFC modern halves are distributed by the Reserve or if they come exclusively from the US Mint in orders placed by dealers? I ask because I have yet to see a box of halves solid of modern coins. I suspect they do not exist at the Reserve. I would be they come out of bags shipped to dealers by the mint exclusively.

I would love it if someone that worked for a terminal service company would be able to comment.

I'm curious if anyone would comment on a couple thoughts/observations that I have concerning coins and the Federal Reserve. I read about their envolvement here. FRB: Currency and Coin Services and believe that I have yet to see any coin come out of the Reserve in my orders of halves. I say this based upon my belief, quitely possibly erroneously, that if a box came from the reserve it would most likely have come from the US Mint. If that was the case, it would likely be packaged as having come from the mint. My boxes appear to me to be those that I would expect to get from a Armored Carrier company (Brinks, Loomis, Garda, etc.) that is running a local coin terminal. The link above does mention that the Reserve banks do store some coinage, but I suspect that little of it is shipped out to the coin terminals unless a bank that keeps its coin at the terminal orders it from the Fed.

Has anyone been in those coin terminal locations and can comment on the quantity of coins kept there, especially halves? It just seems like an expensive option to ship it to the Reserve bank only to have to ship it back to a terminal when TimZim orders 1/3 pallet at a time.

Does anyone know if NIFC modern halves are distributed by the Reserve or if they come exclusively from the US Mint in orders placed by dealers? I ask because I have yet to see a box of halves solid of modern coins. I suspect they do not exist at the Reserve. I would be they come out of bags shipped to dealers by the mint exclusively.

I would love it if someone that worked for a terminal service company would be able to comment.

Never thought about that for the NIFC

I was thinking of ordering a box of halves but was told by a coin dealer
that the federal reserve bank :skullflag: culls out the silver coins :find:

Is that true or even possible? Would they be able to do it by weight? :metaldetector:

It seems like it wouldn't be practical for them to do that. ???

As for the "could they" question:
First, the technology would have to exist for them to efficiently separate the alloys - that technology does exist.
Second, the authority would have to exist for them to separate the alloys - that might or might not exist. My guess is no.

As to the "how would they" question:

There are a number ways - weight is feasible to some degree but the least likely approach. More likely, it would be by inductive signature - much like the discriminator that is on the front end of the retail CoinStar. The retail CoinStar that you find in supermarkets and Walmarts reject silver because of the inductive signature of Ag compared to Ni-cladded Cu.

I have literally went from my pickup bank (actually the CU) directly to a CoinStar and poured dimes right from the coinloc bag into coinstar to sort for Ag. I needed $300 to spend at Amazon and since Amazon e-cards carry no fee with CoinStar, I had nothing to lose. I poured dimes until the running total hit $300. 2 Ag Roos'es landed in the reject hole (along with a small qty of clad dimes that CoinStar didn't like for one reason or another).

It is that technology that would be the most suited for a high volume sort.

Otherwise, XRF would be effective as well but shows no real advantage over the B/H-field (inductive) approach.

YAY!! It had been WAY too long since we had one of these threads!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back