Can someone tell me how approximately how old this cast iron object is?

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old cast iron kettle base?

This was one of the first cool items I found with my metal detector. I hadn't had the Garrett but a week. I had remembered seeing an old pile of rocks at the base of a tree near a creek WAY, WAY, back in the woods a few years ago. I decided to go back in there with my wife. Thankfully I was able to locate the rocks without wasting any time. I scanned the area and dug a few square nails which got me excited. I also dug a few modern nails. When I ran the detector over the stack of rocks I got a big iron signal. I removed a few massive rocks and pulled a piece from looked to be of a plow head from about a foot down. I check the hole again and another 8 inches down I found this. Both pieces were close together. I'm wondering what it is exactly and how old it may be. This spot is a heck of a walk through the woods and we don't have a lot of time to hunt as it is having two children makes it tough to get out. I have gotten better with the detector since then so I'm wondering if you all think this place would be worth the time and hike?
I believe it is the bottom of an old kettle or something. I did break part of it on accident and it is definitely cast iron.

20150421_073150.jpg20150421_073200.jpg20150421_073210.jpg20150421_073217.jpg20150421_073233.jpg

Last edited:
Also, notice in the third picture slight lettering. Appears to be a V and maybe and I.

Upvote 0
This looks like it may be close. If it is close to the same age as the pot in this kettle, I wonder how old this home site could be?
mz8d3sSuxe6bMv8BaBEv61g.jpg

Upvote 0
Could be old wood stove parts. It is surpising to me how many of those things are found around old house sites or old dumps in the woods.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back