Attachments

• 20190224_183336.jpg
    20190224_183336.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • 20190224_183357.jpg
    20190224_183357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Without the base it’s hard to type it but from what’s left if I had to guess I would think it was a guilford or morrow mountain those are middle archaic but like I said just a guess.

I would say most of the points found in the South East are white quartz. I would guess they could go back 5k years or so.

I looks like the tip of a well made, thin point made of good quality quartz. Painting with a very broad brush: The thinner, better made quartz stuff in that area tends to be paleo or early archaic. During those time the people were still moving around a lot and could travel to the better stone sources, so their sites tend to show use of quartz and quartzite as secondary materials. If there is a paleo or early archaic component to the site, you should find chert/jasper from Cattail Creek (Williamson Site in Dinwiddie) and/or some of the better North Carolina materials like rhyolite and silicified slate. If it's almost entirely quartz and quartzite flakes, points, etc., probably mid-archaic or later.

Keith thanks for the great info. I am more of a metal detecting guy but am getting interested in these artifacts now. Should I continue to look in the farm fields or go in woods by the creek and swamp? Any suggestions for a newbie would be appreciated it's around 300 acres outside Suffolk VA. Thx

Nice little point. Where you found one, you will likely find others. Was it on the surface, or uncovered while digging a signal?

I looks like the tip of a well made, thin point made of good quality quartz. Painting with a very broad brush: The thinner, better made quartz stuff in that area tends to be paleo or early archaic. During those time the people were still moving around a lot and could travel to the better stone sources, so their sites tend to show use of quartz and quartzite as secondary materials. If there is a paleo or early archaic component to the site, you should find chert/jasper from Cattail Creek (Williamson Site in Dinwiddie) and/or some of the better North Carolina materials like rhyolite and silicified slate. If it's almost entirely quartz and quartzite flakes, points, etc., probably mid-archaic or later.

Quartzite Keith, good nuggets of info there.

Nice little point. Where you found one, you will likely find others. Was it on the surface, or uncovered while digging a signal?

Quartzite Keith, good nuggets of info there.
Found on surface..I believe they plow fields every year

I would say most of the points found in the South East are white quartz. I would guess they could go back 5k years or so.

As long as you are in the quartz belt just like the gold belt. I am in the south east and its always a rare day for me to find a quartz point but when I do they are as white as milk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back