Can someone explain the layout of a Confederate CW Camp?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how far from the camp would picket or trench lines be located? I am still working on locating the exct location of a camp in NW Missouri and believe I know where a picket or trench line were set up. I have a really good feeling about a new area I discovered but it is about 1.5 miles from where I found a bunch of musket balls. Is 1.5 miles too far or am I in the ball park?

Upvote 0
Wow 65 views and no responses. I guess no one has the answer I seek.

Picket lines were pretty close to camp,usually within 100yds.The rifles did not have a long range capability,so any skirmish lines would have been close to where you found the spent musket balls.They could have made camp a mile or so away and planned a skirmish(ambush) where you found the shells.Picket lines did not include trenches because they were temporary.Trenches were more permanent and to protect a somewhat permanent(long term) camp.

The camp I was refering to was used for a couple years and at one point in time there were 1500 men located there. If you want more information about this camp you can check out my blog at http://mymdforum.com/b2evolution/blog1.php you will need to scroll down and click on page 2 to read about Camp Highly.

After re-reading my blog I realized I skipped a part of the story. You can read the part missing at http://www.mymdforum.com/cornfield.htm

i would think that 1.5 miles is pretty far from a basic camp perimeter. In my Military atlas it gives a good idea of battle conditions camps and perimeters. Maybe your camp is listed there?

TnMountains said:
i would think that 1.5 miles is pretty far from a basic camp perimeter. In my Military atlas it gives a good idea of battle conditions camps and perimeters. Maybe your camp is listed there?

I would be very surprised if it were listed. This is not a very well known camp. Let me know what you need to see if it is listed.

I found a picket post that was more than a mile from the main camp. I dont think that is too far out. May not be that far out on a regular basis. This picket post you found was that on one of the only ways in???d2

d2 said:
I found a picket post that was more than a mile from the main camp. I dont think that is too far out. May not be that far out on a regular basis. This picket post you found was that on one of the only ways in???d2

It was near the only road that approached from the East.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back