Dec 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• SANY0140.JPG
    SANY0140.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0
you picture is porr, need to see closer of the sides (edges... From current picture would say no, just a pointed rock.... Better picture may make a differece, but from this picture dont think so....

Better luck next time...

Yeah, picture nothing to write home about, here is one of the other side, maybe it will be betterSANY0141.JPG

hiya folks
Found this along the clinch river in TN,can i call it an arrowhead or just a pretty rock,never found an arrowhead before so i really have no clue but have no doubt the guru's here will know.. thanks folks

hey hey Mr vigi
i like it
i see you are doing good with your first post
could be a possible unfinished piece but it is nice
anyway i like it and welcome to Tnet
welcome to Tnet

larson1951

Better picture, it looks to have been a crude chooper, or hand hoe... It is a keeper....

Let's start with 'welcome to the site'. My thoughts are that you didn't find a true arrowhead in the sense that the artifact pictured never actually tipped an arrow (some 90% of what people call arrowheads are actually knifes or spear points or dart points or something like that). But I believe you definitely have a prehistoric artifact. Could be a chopper, a scraper, a rough knife, a preform, something like that. If that's your first find you're doing just fine. There are generally more than one to be found, so I'd suggest heading back to the area and keep hunting for more.

Joe

Let's start with 'welcome to the site'. My thoughts are that you didn't find a true arrowhead in the sense that the artifact pictured never actually tipped an arrow (some 90% of what people call arrowheads are actually knifes or spear points or dart points or something like that). But I believe you definitely have a prehistoric artifact. Could be a chopper, a scraper, a rough knife, a preform, something like that. If that's your first find you're doing just fine. There are generally more than one to be found, so I'd suggest heading back to the area and keep hunting for more.

Joe

Good advice and good luck with finding more stuff there.:icon_thumleft:

Good advice and good luck with finding more stuff there.:icon_thumleft:

Welcome to the Forum Vigi. First thing as the others have said you definitely found a Native American Artifact. I think it would better help in the determination process if you could tell us the size of this piece. To me it looks like it could be a a tanning tool or knife. I do not think it is a chopper they usually have a butt end so as not to harm the native using it. It could have been a Axe. The size will give a better indicator......................GTP(Chris)

Thanks for all the great input,very informative .the piece measures 1.5 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide but it is also a good 3/4 inch thick.I believe you are right about it not being a true arrowhead,it has a little chunk missing at the thickest spot so maybe a reject of some sort?.

Thanks for all the great input,very informative .the piece measures 1.5 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide but it is also a good 3/4 inch thick.I believe you are right about it not being a true arrowhead,it has a little chunk missing at the thickest spot so maybe a reject of some sort?.

the more i think about it i am thinking it is an unfinished piece
there can be many reasons for being unfinished but i do think i see a bit of rough flaking

if you find more similar things in the same area you might be in an area that can produce your first true arrow point
post again, ask questions, you can learn from some very knowledgeable people here
also study the pieces on the other posts and read the comments when you are able
good luck

Last edited:
I think it is one of these. Rock called this one a bifurcate, or something like that.

image-4005565492.jpg

If Rock hasn't chimed in, send him a PM. He named my piece, but I can't recall exactly what he called it.

Looks like an ovate blade to me. A common biface tool. Sometimes referred to as just.. biface. They come in many sizes and were common in all time periods. Twitch covered it well.
That piece.... N.C. looks to be a chopper.
220px-Acheuleanhandaxes.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet! Looks like a good first find to me. Probably a scraper type of a tool.

I'm thinking this is a hand knife. It also has a blunt right side with no(from what i see of the pictures) definitive flaking to create another bladed side.................JMO............Again nice find.......................GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back