Can anyone tell me about this saw

Its a one man crosscut saw used usually for cutting firewood to length . Could be mid 1800s up.

Upvote 0
It is called a bow saw.

It is used for cutting all types of wood, by handy-men and furniture builders, alike.

FWIW, a traditional crosscut saw, namely used for cutting timber or firewood, has a much more aggressive tooth pattern. Just looking at your saw, the finer tooth configuration implies it is for finer woodworking.

Upvote 0
Buck saw. Cuts to length. Thus bucking. Across width of a tree or log, for example stove length before splitting if splitting required due to diameter.

Upvote 0
Still being manufactured today, I used a new one probably 10 years ago. Chain saw is much faster and easier work, but much louder. I was cutting camp fire wood at a rendezvous, no
chain saws allowed.

Upvote 0
I have grandpa's hanging on my wall by the wood stove...

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies now I know

Upvote 0
The blade that you have was used for carpentry, cabinet building or general woodworking use.

A "buck" saw, as everyone else has insisted that it is, which would be used for cutting firewood, has a much greater aggressive tooth pattern, like a traditional cross cut saw would have.

Use a Google search for bow saw, and click on the images. Then do the same for a buck saw. Look at the vast differences between the blades. The saw that you have was meant for more fine and precise cutting, where as a buck saw is meant for aggressive cutting where it wouldn't matter, as with firewood.

I reckon a guy could cut firewood with your saw blade, but it is going to give you a workout, and take 20 times longer than it should.

Upvote 0
Could also be a rip saw, depending on the teeth. Roy Underhill on PBS "the Woodwright Shop" has a similar ripsaw. His blade will rotate 90 degrees for larger work. Much like a scroll saw.

Upvote 0
The blade that you have was used for carpentry, cabinet building or general woodworking use.

A "buck" saw, as everyone else has insisted that it is, which would be used for cutting firewood, has a much greater aggressive tooth pattern, like a traditional cross cut saw would have.

Use a Google search for bow saw, and click on the images. Then do the same for a buck saw. Look at the vast differences between the blades. The saw that you have was meant for more fine and precise cutting, where as a buck saw is meant for aggressive cutting where it wouldn't matter, as with firewood.

I reckon a guy could cut firewood with your saw blade, but it is going to give you a workout, and take 20 times longer than it should.
Its absolutely a buck saw...a bow saw is shaped exactly like a bow that shoots arrows...the type of blade doesn't matter, its the frame that gives it its name...Bing images show two completely different images for the buck and bow...many images are identical to the one he posted and they say its a buck saw.

Upvote 0
One man buck we call them.But we call all one handle saws or one person saws "one man buck". Two handle crosscut saws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back