RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpegfound this today metal detecting in RI. It has no makers marks or any markings at all. Could it be Native American? It's about 3-4" long and it tested positive for .800 silver. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Thanks! I didn't know what to think of it, it's very unique.. Looks like it might be hand made.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the party. That is an interesting find. I like the design on it. Congrats! Happy Hunting

Upvote 0
Thanks Kingskid! Happy to be here! HH!

Upvote 0
the handle looks like a thunder bird
the cutouts look uniform as in machine stamped, including the clean shape of the speen
But the designs look like they may have been added after the spoon was stamped out
Certainly looks southwestern
Odd that is not stamped
can we see the back side
Could be a novelty for small spoon collectors
would have it tested for silver content
IMO
Brady

Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449485895.187975.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449485908.178796.jpg
When I first retrieved the spork it was Rolled up/bent.. After carefully in rolling it there were stress cracks in the silver.. At first I thought it was plated but I'm pretty sure those cracks are in the silver..

Upvote 0
So I probably should have left it curled up...[emoji21]

Upvote 0
So I probably should have left it curled up...[emoji21]
I don't think so, not in this case. The design and length of the handle tell me otherwise. I'd also like to add that I believe this piece started out as a spoon and was turned into a "spork" post manufacture.

Upvote 0
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449683792.603392.jpg
Another thing I noticed about this spoon is that if you look close it has grind marks or series of scratches all over it.. Could this be an indication that it's hand made??

Upvote 0
I would say there is not enough symmetry to be a machine stamped piece. Being that it is both spoon and fork that would make it apparent that it was intended for a Baby's Utensil.
Also the file and sanding marks supports it as being a hand made item.
I believe the stamping was completed prior to forming the spoon and it looks as though the stamps are the same but reversed for the opposite side. This leads me to conclude that it is handmade.
It is Native American in design but it may be a Mexican made piece by the fact it is not sterling silver and there is no hallmark or sterling stamp on the reverse. Another possible reason it's not stamped it may be an early Navajo pawn item.
Whoever made it, it's very cool find.
I am a silversmith for over forty years and in my younger days repaired a ton of Navajo and Hopi jewelry as well as producing it myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks RustyGold! Can it be authenticated? Could it be valuable?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure who could do that without it being a recognized artist's work or style and unless old pawn it's not extremely valuable. Look at pieces at the Heard Museum and research modern works from retailers like alltribes and others.
To me if I had to guess I'd say it is a silver spoon from Mexico in the Navajo style.
Update: after a closer look it does look early Navajo.
Best of luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it has good value to it myself, provided the stress cracks are not too detrimental and can be repaired. With that Thunderbird design on it, I'd term it an early "Fred Harvey" era piece. Being that it is a spork makes it very unusual. The fact that it isn't stamped/marked is also (to me) more evidence that it is an "early" Navajo or Native American made piece. How did you determine it was .800 silver versus sterling or coin silver? .800 to me would indicate to me that it's likely a European made piece, which it's obviously not. I can see it being coin silver but not .800.

Upvote 0
It may very well be coin silver, I have a kit where you rub it on a stone and then put a drop of 'silver' solution on it.. It turned a dark brown which indicated .800.. I still want to have it checked by a jeweler.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back