🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Can anyone ID this old gun?

Steeltowndigger

Aug 1, 2019
Hamilton, Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ddef96c2-1068-4608-8d78-f9d198a27fb0.jpg
    ddef96c2-1068-4608-8d78-f9d198a27fb0.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 198
  • cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 172
I agree with, The Rebel, definitely looks like an old top break shotgun. There were many manufacturers of these, and some were made and marked with different model numbers and names depending on who sold them.

So the same identical shotgun could have been sold under different companies and given a different model name.

All that said, the remains of the fore stock/hand guard reminds me of an H&R (Harrington and Richardson) made one. But that is not a definitive answer.

20240821_170154.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13
i would try this method . it ll take a while but you ll have good results from this

once clean soak it in oil for a while , let submerge it and forget about it for a few months

Upvote 1
Can anyone ID the type and age of this gun found magnet fishing. it has a spring coming out of where the buttstock was.

open to any suggestions on how to clean too. going to try electrolysis soon, i have it sitting in water right now
I think some of the previous posters nailed the id, but I feel the need to make this PSA. I apologize in advance if you already knew what I’m about to say. These shotguns in good used condition used to be readily available for $100 or less, now they’ve crept up a bit, but they’re are still cheap guns. If you are going through the electrolysis/cleaning for the sake of having something you found to hang on the wall as a conversation piece…...great, congrats, good luck and you can stop reading. If you have any intentions of trying to clean this item to fix up for usage/sale, you can save your time and put it in the scrap metal bin. Will not be worth anything for resale and due to condition will not (my opinion) ever be safe to use. Not trying to be a nanny, just didn’t want you to waste your time, or worse get hurt.

Upvote 4
I think some of the previous posters nailed the id, but I feel the need to make this PSA. I apologize in advance if you already knew what I’m about to say. These shotguns in good used condition used to be readily available for $100 or less, now they’ve crept up a bit, but they’re are still cheap guns. If you are going through the electrolysis/cleaning for the sake of having something you found to hang on the wall as a conversation piece…...great, congrats, good luck and you can stop reading. If you have any intentions of trying to clean this item to fix up for usage/sale, you can save your time and put it in the scrap metal bin. Will not be worth anything for resale and due to condition will not (my opinion) ever be safe to use. Not trying to be a nanny, just didn’t want you to waste your time, or worse get hurt.
True, and well stated, when intact these old guns only hold sentimental value to the owners with little to no monetary value.

Example, this all original and functional (Can be and is shot) 1950s era, Iver Johnson Champion shotgun, might be worth around $150.00 or so.

Originally it belonged to my Great Grandfather, and has been passed down each generation. My son nows own it, and his son is next inline for it.

IMG_1025b.jpg

IMG_1031a.jpg
IMG_1027a.jpg
IMG_1030a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6
My first firearm was an H&R single shot 12 Ga., with a 30" barrel and full choke. Day after I bought it I went dove hunting with my buddy, and realized I should have bought the recoil pad at the same time.

Be interesting to see how well this one cleans up.

Upvote 3
My first firearm was an H&R single shot 12 Ga., with a 30" barrel and full choke. Day after I bought it I went dove hunting with my buddy, and realized I should have bought the recoil pad at the same time.

My IJ referenced above has a 32 inch barrel. My first firing of it was with two boxes of old paper hulled shells. My GF told me to dispose of them through the barrel.

Two boxes later I was bruised, and the next day it looked like my shoulder/arm had been kicked by a mule.

Ah, the memories, the smell, the pain, the noise, and the deafness for days....!

Upvote 6
I can easily guess.....I once had a bad day of shooting.
My father is mid 70s, still has a knot on his collar bone from when he was 13. Had his grandfathers double barrel rabbit ear 12. 2 doves coming in, decided to cock both hammers for a fast follow up shot….pulled the trigger and both barrels went off. That was with a steel buttplate.

Upvote 0
About 1967 my friend and I were 13. I went to stay overnight in his country home. The next morning we found ourselves all alone for about an hour. Virgil says... "Let's get my dads shotgun out and shoot it". I said sure. So we get his dads gun out and it's a double barrel shotgun. I said I'll shoot it first. But he says it's my dads gun and I'll go first.... ok then. Virgil puts two shells in and cocks both barrels. AND... both barrels go off...! We didn't know it then but he just pulled both triggers on a double barrel 10 ga. shotgun. When he shot the gun went flying and Virgil hit the ground screaming and yelling. So now the gun and him were lying on the ground. I thought the gun blew up or something. He screamed, yelled and cried so loud.

I kid you not his shoulder turned every shade of yellow, green, purple and blue you can imagine. We couldn't hide this screw up. His mom came home and we ratted ourselves out. I got took home and Virgil wasn't the same for a month or more. To this day I've never fired a 10 ga. shotgun. What a BLAST...!!!!

Upvote 1
My IJ referenced above has a 32 inch barrel. My first firing of it was with two boxes of old paper hulled shells. My GF told me to dispose of them through the barrel.

Two boxes later I was bruised, and the next day it looked like my shoulder/arm had been kicked by a mule.

Ah, the memories, the smell, the pain, the noise, and the deafness for days....!
Funny you mention the smell…anyone else notice the difference between paper and plastic?

Upvote 2
Funny you mention the smell…anyone else notice the difference between paper and plastic?
Had both growing up.
Childhood friend showed me their double barrel.
Let's go out on the porch and shoot it.
I said sure, and he told me to go first.
Hit that can over there.
I pressed that butt so hard against my shoulder
I aimed pulled the trigger.
The recoil made me pull the second trigger also.
I hit the can sure enough, but the second shot hit the can in the air.
Total fluke as I was lucky to hit it the first pull.
Bruce said you're a really good shot.
I just said ya.
The pain that came from the shoulder was there for a month.
Bruises were ugly and the reason for them had to be explained to the parents.

Upvote 3

My first was 44 cal on a 22 frame. She cleaned up nice, really nice. Every time :D

Upvote 1

This, I understand. We drove from So. Cal down to Blythe to hunt doves for a weekend, and I only brought two boxes of shells, and the guys in camp loaned me two more. They told me that trying to hit a dove with a single-shot, 30" barrel and a full choke was not an easy thing to do. Found out they were right, as even though there were a bazillion dove flying around, I killed one bird for each box of shells. The other three guys took limits on Sat., and close to limits on Sun.

Iced my right shoulder Sat. night, and by the end of the hunt on Sunday it was just one giant bruise, plus a nice bruise on my right cheek. Never did bird hunt with that shotgun again, but I did manage to terminate a coyote I called in. One shot with a 2-3/4" high base #4
gun.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 2
My bad day of shooting......

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back