Can anyone ID this cannon..Spanish?

Where did you find this? I do believe it is Chinese.You may want to check out oriental weapons.I have seen pictures of these; can't remember where, but I believe it is a siege cannon....Capt Tom

THE ORACLE HAS SPOKEN!

Smithbrown wrote: It is more Hollywood than Spain, I'm afraid.

;D ;D ;D

(it helps to know the expertise level of your fellow TNET'ers)

Good grief, where to start? Although this “cannon” has elements of 15th or 16th century design, the way they are put together suggests it modern.

Well, first cannon should be heavier at the back, so that they naturally sit with the muzzle a little in the air- this one, despite having a huge, bulbous breech (like no other cannon I have seen) is sitting with the muzzle pointing down. This means that the trunnions are wrongly placed. Useful if you want to shoot the toes off your gunners, but not for much else.

Next the material- a 15th or early 16th century cannon should be made of bronze, but as far as I can see, this is iron, or possibly steel- I would guess it was a steel tube. (You do get wrought-iron guns from this period but they are much plainer, no fancy additions like dragons).

Thirdly, the elements of design. A proper cannon would be cast in one piece, but this has elements added on- the studded band round the muzzle (again like nothing I have ever seen outside a video game), the little mask and the dolphins (or dragons in this case- and they appear to be made from a different material, by the way). The worst thing are the handles attached half way up the chase- the shape is wrong, the position is wrong and the way they are attached is wrong. If you fire the gun, you want to be reasonably sure it is not going to start flying apart and hit you or your gunners, which could happen if parts were only attached by welding.

As I said, I would think it was either made for a film, or is a fantasy cannon based on a video game. The nearest thing I have seen to this was the film of Ivan the Terrible, or the recent Indian film on Akbar, but not in any of the collections of Renaissance cannons.

Anyway, I have snooker to watch, much more important .

Smithbrown

yes indeed the functional elements of it are all wrong * -- the balance of it is totally incorrect -- (front end heavy) and instead of being cast like a normal cannon of the old day 's would / should be it has a "hobbled together" modern welded look to it -- in short theres nothing "right" about it -- fun to look at thought.

That cannon looks like a tv commercial prop for a burger king commercial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back