✅ SOLVED can anyone i.d. this?

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today while hunting a section of woods behind a church that has only been there since 1968 The woods looks seldom used. I was finding shotgun brass so I know that hunters have used it before. I also saw a tree stand. Other than that it is pretty thick with several small vernal ponds. That is all of the information I have on the preoperty. For some reason this buckle? peeked my interest, it does not look modern to me.

Attachments

• morells 002.JPG
    morells 002.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 171
  • morells 003.JPG
    morells 003.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 154
Horse tack buckle. 1850s -1860s. Have about 5, in different sizes, just like it.

Upvote 0
Big C is 100% correct .. Rather than retype everything, here is a copy and paste reply on the subject I made a while back:

"As a relic hunter, I am always in search for an accurate identification for the things I find as well as for those that others find, so when a topic such as these buckle covers pops up, I am always hopeful for more information that can be used in the future. As I pointed out in the BEST FINDS forum under Deftone's post on Buckle Covers!, I have dedicated much research to this topic, and the earliest patent I can find on any type of buckle cover was held by Henry Pott, circa 1874. His cover, however, was an integral part of the buckle itself, and mainly served as a buckle loop, rather than a shield. The first true buckle cover patent that I could find was held by David Mosman, issued in 1879, and it more closely resembles the solid brass covers with the rigid ends that we also see attributed to the Civil War. The first true buckle cover that resembles these that we see with hearts was patented by Ralph Wooding in 1892. Prior to these dates, the only reference to buckle covers/protectors/shields was the use of a secondary leather strap that covered the face of the buckle. My research is always continuing as new information and leads come about, but so far, I have not found anything that definitively dates these to the Civil War era.

At the same time, I posted an article under Eboy1960's post that was published in American Digger magazine that suggested that these covers did indeed exist during the Civil War, although no substantiating evidence was offered. .. Hence .. I am always hopeful for information that will bridge the gap from my own personal research, and the assertion that these are from the Civil War era.
"

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for such a quick answer. I knew if I posted it here someone would have the answer.

Upvote 0
Big C is 100% correct .. Rather than retype everything, here is a copy and paste reply on the subject I made a while back:

"As a relic hunter, I am always in search for an accurate identification for the things I find as well as for those that others find, so when a topic such as these buckle covers pops up, I am always hopeful for more information that can be used in the future. As I pointed out in the BEST FINDS forum under Deftone's post on Buckle Covers!, I have dedicated much research to this topic, and the earliest patent I can find on any type of buckle cover was held by Henry Pott, circa 1874. His cover, however, was an integral part of the buckle itself, and mainly served as a buckle loop, rather than a shield. The first true buckle cover patent that I could find was held by David Mosman, issued in 1879, and it more closely resembles the solid brass covers with the rigid ends that we also see attributed to the Civil War. The first true buckle cover that resembles these that we see with hearts was patented by Ralph Wooding in 1892. Prior to these dates, the only reference to buckle covers/protectors/shields was the use of a secondary leather strap that covered the face of the buckle. My research is always continuing as new information and leads come about, but so far, I have not found anything that definitively dates these to the Civil War era.

At the same time, I posted an article under Eboy1960's post that was published in American Digger magazine that suggested that these covers did indeed exist during the Civil War, although no substantiating evidence was offered. .. Hence .. I am always hopeful for information that will bridge the gap from my own personal research, and the assertion that these are from the Civil War era.
"
Does this mean its not Confederate?

Upvote 0
Here is the same patented buckle with 20th century fonts. Isnt this strange? Does anybody have an explanation? PAT DEC 16 1879

Attachments

• buckle patent.jpg
    buckle patent.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
That buckle cover is still made today under the same patent .. different owner, but same patent.

Upvote 0
That buckle cover is still made today under the same patent .. different owner, but same patent.
But patents were only good for 17 years. In my experience with antique tools, the patent was no longer cast or stamped after it expired. Also patents are no longer month, day and year.

Attachments

• patents utility.jpg
    patents utility.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My best guess is this patent date was stamped in 1896, the last year of the patent and it was one of the first examples of using modern fonts. If anyone has a better idea, I would like to hear it. Another possibility is its fake. Or maybe it was renewed into the early 20th century and the old patent was re-stamped ..by mistake?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or maybe its a modern buckle and the old patent is stamped for promotional purposes. Because its an old style no longer used (month, day, year) it cannot be mistaken for an existing patent. Does this sound possible?

Upvote 0
That's a tasty mushroom and nice buckle cover

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back