Can anyone help with what year this chair is and if its worth restoring

I wouldn't restore it at all until you know exactly what you have. Restoring could cut the value significantly. (I watch Antiques Road Show).

Upvote 0
Even if the bottom is falling out

Upvote 0
DONT TOUCH IT
The fabric is interesting
Look for markings underneath
Look for the way it was constructed, nails, tacks and so on
what you have shown us will not be enough to hekp ID
better pics please
Brady

Upvote 0
Better pics for chair

All hand carved none of the carvings match old nails and screws

Upvote 0
So far from what I've researched I've dated this chair between 1790-1820

Here is close up of nails from chair iron fibers run across and burrs diagonal from each other at the head. Anyone please correct me if they notice something diffrent

Upvote 0
Judging by the photos, it looks like you have an early Victorian 'Slipper' Chair. During the Victorian times women wore numerous petticoats, a corset, lots of underwear, etc. After being laced up in her corset, and layers of underwear, she still had to put on her stockings and slippers, thus the 'Slipper' chair emerged. It was a chair with no arms, a wider seat than back, and shorter legs so ladies could sit down (wearing a ton of clothes) and put on her stockings and slippers.

I've owned (and still do) several of these chairs, and I restored all of mine, which in my opinion, it increased the value.

Neat score,
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks breezie that what I thought it was but I measured the height and it didnt match most. Please put up some pics I would like to see yours. What do you think the value is

Upvote 0
Thanks breezie that what I thought it was but I measured the height and it didnt match most. Please put up some pics I would like to see yours. What do you think the value is

jtw, My batteries are dead in my camera, and if I take the ones out of the remote, there may be a mini-Civil War here! :laughing7: Below is a GOOGLE search, and as you can see, there are a ton of styles. As far as value is concerned, I don't give appraisals . . .I hope that didn't sound short or snippy, but I prefer not to give prices because different areas of the US have different prices, plus it needs to be evaluated in person. Here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vic...IXIsAS23oDwAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=800&bih=487

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back