Can anyone help translate this

Evacuation of Hanoi stands out.
Lacking my computer to check translations , but hints of Italian?

Upvote 0
language i see to be italian... some of the letters were a bit hard to see. I never quite learned italian so i went to google translate...
text i typed in:telegrafo hanoi evacuata fu ucciso a livorno l'uomo trouato sepolto a tirrenia (servizio di Furio domenico Spezia corsaro trionfa a parma (servizio di Folco Masseglia Sarazanese in vantaggio raggiunta a orbetello

text in English: Telegraph Hanoi evacuated was killed in livorno man trouato buried in Tirrenia ( Furio domenico service Spezia pirate triumphs in parma ( Folco Masseglia Sarazanese service advantage reached at orbetello

other than that i would say the "II" are roman numerals for 2( as in second edition?).

Hope this helps you out

Upvote 0
April 1972

I don't know what this is but I can see paint brush hairs from posting to the board

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From Wikipedia:

The paper was founded in 1877 under the name Il Telegrafo, with a moderate centrist political line. During the fascist regime, it was owned by the Ciano family.[SUP][[/SUP]Following the Liberation, it was replaced in 1945 by Il Tirreno, and switched to a left-wing policy. From 1957 to 1976 it was known again as Il Telegrafo, but then resumed using its current name. The paper is owned by the media company Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso and has its headquarters in Livorno.

The style of the piece is antiqued decoupage - burning the edges of the paper and coating with heavy, dark varnish. My mother used to do this sort of thing in the early 70's as it was popular in interior decorating.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I've seen a few times copies of the Deceleration of Independence, Wanted Jesse James posters and other historic ephemera that look just like that. Spilling coffee on old paper stuff and drying it in the sun works good also to make it look old and historic. Right now I've got some arts and craft bronze repo candlesticks sold through the Metro Museum of Art that have been set outside to be rained on and darkened by the mile high sun to give a deeper patina on them, so they'll be ready sell this winter. I just want them to look more rustic as I think that'll be more appealing to buyers. I'm not going to try and fool anyone, as they are marked reproductions.

Upvote 0
From Wikipedia:

The style of the piece is antiqued decoupage - burning the edges of the paper and coating with heavy, dark varnish. My mother used to do this sort of thing in the early 70's as it was popular in interior decorating.

DCMatt
Yeah, my mom painted the downstairs bar, piano and all the furniture with this pale green antiquey looking paint process back in the 1970's

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back