can anyone help identify this button something good or trash

Maybe a Crown and shield button somewhat like the one posted in the picture, if you cant find you're answer you may want to look through vintage crown & shield buttons...

Attachments

• imagesss.jpg
    imagesss.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
It looks like a one piece cast button. Its old. The shank eye is cast all in one piece. Is it brass or pewter?

Type 1A

Attachments

• Button types.jpg
    Button types.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
It looks like it had a brass on it but it was eaten away

Upvote 0
It looks like it to me but I'm not sure see the brownish spot by the crown it looks like that is brass

Upvote 0
Maybe some of the other button guys can help with the age. I think its old.

Upvote 0
I'm just trying to figure out the age because trying to put together this area I've found some 1900 to 1920s stuff in this area found a old Sheffield a1 plate spoon and old porcelain bowl got lucky on that one it was next to a old piece of barbwire fence but this button was pretty far from this area

Upvote 0
Please keep me posted. I found a square one with a crested helm in the middle of it , and the oxidation appears to be very similar. I called mine square , but it it by no means concentric , and it has scalloped edges. I am also very interested in the age on it. Ours seem to have a similar metal in common , however there was evidence of some brass plating remaing in the lowest recesses of my button. However, with a very delicate cleaning, we began to notice we were loosing this plating , and halted there. This appears to be very, very old , and very far out of place in regards to the area it was found in.

Upvote 0
Yeah that background feels like a screen or something to tarpon yeah mine was coming of when I cleaned it to

Upvote 0
looks like a late 1800's to early 1900's waterbury button.
I was hoping the old button people would chime in to steer this thread in the right direction. Im sure CBG, Iron Patch, SS and Crusader could easily date this button.

Its true that Waterbury probably has this style with lined field but I see nothing that suggests it was manufactured by Waterbury. I lost my good button links and my memory is not so sharp lately but unless its a modern reproduction, I think this one piece cast button is early 1800s. My guess its a civilian fashion button but I think its old.

home

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the loop the same metal as the button? Test with a magnet. Does it look as if the loop was soldered on or is it cast all in one piece?

Upvote 0
Im posting the link if you would like to search the Waterbury database for this design. Im using search words "crown, crest" but you can use quick search with just "crown" if you dont see it. http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart...omfield=0&SearchValues=&exact=0&keyword=crown crest&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=9999999&idCategory=0&IdSupplier=0&withStock=&IDBrand=0&order=3&SKU=

Its very possible that Waterbury produces this design but there is nothing to suggest that Waterbury is the maker.

Upvote 0
This button appears too have a similar style of a Belgium Crest crown and shield made by Waterbury but I do not think this is there Belgium crest.. I have awhole book of buttons made by Waterbury and this is not in any of their crown and shield button books. I think this button is from 1880 to early 1900s.

I Notice the rims on the buttons do not match up to the Belgium crest made by Waterbury.

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 151
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey thanks that button on the right is pretty close

Upvote 0
This button appears too have a similar style of a Belgium Crest crown and shield made by Waterbury but I do not think this is there Belgium crest.. I have awhole book of buttons made by Waterbury and this is not in any of their crown and shield button books. I think this button is from 1880 to early 1900s.

I Notice the rims on the buttons do not match up to the Belgium crest.
Agreed there is nothing to suggest this is made by Waterbury. I still believe the one piece cast loop style is older than 1880.

Its a variant of the Belgium Crest or Coat of Arms lesser version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Belgium

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pretty kewl find really if it is from the early 19th century, lot and lot and lot of crown shields buttons found are from the late 19th to mid 20th century and i think its pretty rare finding one from the early 1800s but looking at this button more it does got the 150 year oldish look to it. Be nice if that shield wasnt so worn that would help ID it almost to the point!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back