Can anyone date these items?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at an old site. My brother found the fishing sinker. The sinker is a little bigger than I usually find. I know some sinkers are hammered out of musket balls. This seems a little big for that. I think the other piece is lead also. It's heavy enough to be lead but looks kind of like pewter. Has an ornate design around the partial edge. Anybody know what this would be used for? Does anyone have a date estimate on either of the items? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 286
Hi Evo,
I can see bunches of grapes on the broken thingy. Perhaps, something to do with wine or Brandy.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
The only one I can even suggest what it is,
is what appears to be a Homade Sinker in the last pic.
of course it may also be a Homade Scale Weight,
or ?

as for age of that one ? 40's - 50's ?
but again just a guess

Upvote 0
The decorative item is a lead alloy horse boss. I think you call them horse rosettes. At least 100 years old maybe even 200 but I haven't got time to research the likely age.

Home made lead weight for any number of uses, probably never know.

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
The decorative item is a lead alloy horse boss. I think you call the horse rosettes. At least 100 years old maybe even 200 but I haven't got time to research the likely age.

I agree... bridle rosette.

More precisely, I think it's the lead backfill from a thin, die-stamped brass rosette, as this type of construction was common in the mid to late 1800's. Although civilian in origin, rosettes of this sort often saw usage during the Civil War, and a number of similar examples— floral border, with plain, raised center— can be found in relics ID books such as those by Stan Phillips and Howard Crouch.

Upvote 0
It's a long shot but the piece of holed lead may be a piece of trade lead...it came in this variety and was used to trade with the natives...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back