Camping trip gold and silver from the water (with diamonds again), silver from the school and a nice old gilt button

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
We went camping with our daughter and family at a state park 90 miles from home. The state parks restrict detecting to the beach and swimming areas. You can not detect between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Some allow it on a limited basis and other do not. In this park if you camp you can detect from 6:00 am to 9:00 am. If you aren’t camping you can only detect from 8:00 am to 9:00 am. They are doing some work on the park camping area and the construction has reduced the campsites available and the parking for day use folks. There are 2 distinct swimming areas in this park. The first one was not as busy as the second one. That probably is because the parking for the first one is in the restricted area because of the construction. I spent 2 mornings swingin the ATpro and had a little luck.

The first morning I spent 3 hours doing a quick beach check (@ 30 minutes) a loose grid of the water with the ATPro. I found 43 coins with a face value of $3.20, assorted jewelry, a shoe grommet, a sinker, selfie stick retainers, a pistol shell casing, tabs, a toy car and assorted foil pieces.

DSCN3392.jpeg

The better jewelry consisted of 4 silvers and 1 gold. The silvers are an earring, an earring back, a lobster claw clasp and a ring with czs. The silver earring with the heart dangle has colored stones in it. They are tiny, but the green ones are emeralds, the pink ones are spinels, the blue ones are tourmaline and the white ones are czs. That is a wierd mix.

DSCN3394.jpeg

DSCN3393.jpeg

The gold is a 14k mixed white and yellow gold earring with an amethyst and 2 tiny diamonds. The earring is made to look like there are 3 stones on each side, but there is only one stone and 2 white gold bumps with prongs like the ones used on stones. That’s 5 pieces of jewelry with diamonds in the month of July. They are pretty small diamonds for the most part, but I normally only find 3 or 4 pieces of diamond jewelry in a year. What a month.

DSCN3411.jpeg

DAY 2
The second morning I found more coins and more good jewelry. I spent 3 hours swingin the ATPro and found 41 coins with a face value of $4.93, a wider assortment of jewelry, more sinkers, pellet gun pellets, grommets, selfie stick retainers, can tabs and of course foil.

DSCN3395.jpeg

DSCN3396.jpeg

The good jewelry this day was a neat silver ring made to look like a belt with a buckle, 4 silver cz stud earrings, 3 silver earring backs, a 14k gold earring and a 14k gold crucifix.

DSCN3397.jpeg

DSCN3400.jpeg

The swim ropes are held in place by concrete weights and heavy chains. The older larger metal weights that are no longer used are still buried in the sand and make the ATpro go nuts. When I was passing one of these huge steel beasts I got a light midtone. I went back over it several times to be sure it wasn’t part of the big iron signal. I scooped it out and this beautiful gold crucifix was in the scoop. The hinged gold earring has czs and blue tourmaline stones in it.

DSCN3399.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the K to 8 school planning on working around the bleachers on the upper field. When I got there the maintenance guys from the board of education were taking the bleachers apart. Now this is good and bad, bad because I couldn’t do what I had planned, but good because the next time I come the metal bleachers will be gone and I will be able to clean up all the goodies and not miss some because of the interference from the metal in the bleachers.

I only had 4 hour to detect this trip and I found 49 coins with a face value of $4.25, a ring, a pendant, 2 buttons, a wheatie (toasted), a heel plate, a fancy brass embellishment, the lense end of a mini mag light, a tv cable end, a lead anchor, cans and slaw, tabs, pencil ends and aluminum bottle caps.

DSCN3401.jpeg

The ring is silver and was on the edge of the parking lot in a ditch that stays wet most of the time. It is heavily tarnished from the wet conditions. It is out of round and best up like it was run over several times before it went in the ditch. The pendant is a nice shiny silver one marked 935. The stone is a cz.

DSCN3402.jpeg

DSCN3403.jpeg

The flat button is actually a concave button with a decent amount of gold gilt still on it. The back mark is B & BURNHAM EXTRA. This is for the Benedict and Burham company of Waterbury Connecticut. It later became the Waterbury button company. This backmark was used between 1834 and 1843. The heel plate is and oldie as well. The school was built in 1952 and the town was put on the map in 1844. It’s anybody’s guess as to how this button got here.

DSCN3406.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to middle school to clean up some more areas hoping to get luck again. I covered a lot of ground gridding carefully (a lot of empty space this trip). In 5.5 hours I found 88 coins with a face value of $5.38, 3 wheaties, a key, 2 rings, 2 pendants, a swivel snap piece, what looks like a trigger from a toy gun, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum fence wire, can slaw, whole cans, tabs, foil and pencil ends.

DSCN3407.jpeg

Nothing great this trip, (I did find a gold ring here last trip) but I had a good rest of the week so no complaints. They can’t all be great hunts.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found coins on the ground, coins on the sidewalks and coins on the floor at the store. l also found a sinker in the parking lot. Nothing great but it adds up and it spends.

DSCN3412.jpeg

Since my detecting year started May 1 I have found 12 pieces of gold jewelry and 39 silvers, a pretty good start for the first quarter of my year. Let’s hope it continues. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

IMG_8941.jpeg

IMG_8940.jpeg

IMG_8939.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCN3398.jpeg
    DSCN3398.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Upvote 24
You have had a better week of hunting. Nicely done on the gold and silver.
.935 is a different mark
So far since May 1 your totals are impressive.
Did you do a 2023 season total wrap up post for totals?

DAY 1
We went camping with our daughter and family at a state park 90 miles from home. The state parks restrict detecting to the beach and swimming areas. You can not detect between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Some allow it on a limited basis and other do not. In this park if you camp you can detect from 6:00 am to 9:00 am. If you aren’t camping you can only detect from 8:00 am to 9:00 am. They are doing some work on the park camping area and the construction has reduced the campsites available and the parking for day use folks. There are 2 distinct swimming areas in this park. The first one was not as busy as the second one. That probably is because the parking for the first one is in the restricted area because of the construction. I spent 2 mornings swingin the ATpro and had a little luck.

The first morning I spent 3 hours doing a quick beach check (@ 30 minutes) a loose grid of the water with the ATPro. I found 43 coins with a face value of $3.20, assorted jewelry, a shoe grommet, a sinker, selfie stick retainers, a pistol shell casing, tabs, a toy car and assorted foil pieces.

View attachment 2161963

The better jewelry consisted of 4 silvers and 1 gold. The silvers are an earring, an earring back, a lobster claw clasp and a ring with czs. The silver earring with the heart dangle has colored stones in it. They are tiny, but the green ones are emeralds, the pink ones are spinels, the blue ones are tourmaline and the white ones are czs. That is a wierd mix.

View attachment 2161965

View attachment 2161964

The gold is a 14k mixed white and yellow gold earring with an amethyst and 2 tiny diamonds. The earring is made to look like there are 3 stones on each side, but there is only one stone and 2 white gold bumps with prongs like the ones used on stones. That’s 5 pieces of jewelry with diamonds in the month of July. They are pretty small diamonds for the most part, but I normally only find 3 or 4 pieces of diamond jewelry in a year. What a month.

View attachment 2161977

DAY 2
The second morning I found more coins and more good jewelry. I spent 3 hours swingin the ATPro and found 41 coins with a face value of $4.93, a wider assortment of jewelry, more sinkers, pellet gun pellets, grommets, selfie stick retainers, can tabs and of course foil.

View attachment 2161966

View attachment 2161967

The good jewelry this day was a neat silver ring made to look like a belt with a buckle, 4 silver cz stud earrings, 3 silver earring backs, a 14k gold earring and a 14k gold crucifix.

View attachment 2161968

View attachment 2161970

The swim ropes are held in place by concrete weights and heavy chains. The older larger metal weights that are no longer used are still buried in the sand and make the ATpro go nuts. When I was passing one of these huge steel beasts I got a light midtone. I went back over it several times to be sure it wasn’t part of the big iron signal. I scooped it out and this beautiful gold crucifix was in the scoop. The hinged gold earring has czs and blue tourmaline stones in it.

View attachment 2161962

DAY 3
I went back to the K to 8 school planning on working around the bleachers on the upper field. When I got there the maintenance guys from the board of education were taking the bleachers apart. Now this is good and bad, bad because I couldn’t do what I had planned, but good because the next time I come the metal bleachers will be gone and I will be able to clean up all the goodies and not miss some because of the interference from the metal in the bleachers.

I only had 4 hour to detect this trip and I found 49 coins with a face value of $4.25, a ring, a pendant, 2 buttons, a wheatie (toasted), a heel plate, a fancy brass embellishment, the lense end of a mini mag light, a tv cable end, a lead anchor, cans and slaw, tabs, pencil ends and aluminum bottle caps.

View attachment 2161972

The ring is silver and was on the edge of the parking lot in a ditch that stays wet most of the time. It is heavily tarnished from the wet conditions. It is out of round and best up like it was run over several times before it went in the ditch. The pendant is a nice shiny silver one marked 935. The stone is a cz.

View attachment 2161973

View attachment 2161974

The flat button is actually a concave button with a decent amount of gold gilt still on it. The back mark is B & BURNHAM EXTRA. This is for the Benedict and Burham company of Waterbury Connecticut. It later became the Waterbury button company. This backmark was used between 1834 and 1843. The heel plate is and oldie as well. The school was built in 1952 and the town was put on the map in 1844. It’s anybody’s guess as to how this button got here.

View attachment 2161975

DAY 4
I went back to middle school to clean up some more areas hoping to get luck again. I covered a lot of ground gridding carefully (a lot of empty space this trip). In 5.5 hours I found 88 coins with a face value of $5.38, 3 wheaties, a key, 2 rings, 2 pendants, a swivel snap piece, what looks like a trigger from a toy gun, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum fence wire, can slaw, whole cans, tabs, foil and pencil ends.

View attachment 2161976

Nothing great this trip, (I did find a gold ring here last trip) but I had a good rest of the week so no complaints. They can’t all be great hunts.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found coins on the ground, coins on the sidewalks and coins on the floor at the store. l also found a sinker in the parking lot. Nothing great but it adds up and it spends.

View attachment 2161978

Since my detecting year started May 1 I have found 12 pieces of gold jewelry and 39 silvers, a pretty good start for the first quarter of my year. Let’s hope it continues. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

View attachment 2161981

View attachment 2161980

View attachment 2161979
Awesome Hunt!!! Like the Cross😁!! Congrats!!!

.935 is a different mark
Thanks pepperj. I did get total ready and then life got busy and I didn’t make the post. Now that 3 months have past I want sure if I should post it or not. May 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023 was a decent year but nothing great.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Niceeee. Looks like u cleaned up.. if your counting the earring as 1 and then the earring back as another item. U just cheating yourself. We all know thats 1 piece. :laughing7: Killing it tho.
Thanks for the reply. If I find the earring back on the earring it is one find, but if I find an earring and the back is found away from the earring, it counts as 2 separate finds in my way of thinking.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

.935 is a different mark
I was going to mention that .935 mark too. I've been detecting for over 54 years now and had never seen that, until last week when I found a ring with that stamp. How many of you have found .935 silver? I've found a few .950's, but only the one .935.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back