Campground Finds

CS110

Feb 12, 2005
Well, like everyones been saying, if you want permission, you have to ask. Well I asked and I received permission to hunt a YMCA Camp around here that is up and running most of the year. I had to actually go in, fill out some paperwork and submit a couple of sets of fingerprints for a background check because I'd be around children everytime I'm in the camp. It was kind of funny being as I work for Homeland Security and had to go through about 2 years of checks by the FBI to get my job. Everything checked out though and they asked if I would be interested in volunteering to help teach an Archeology/Metal Detecting class they offer as one of the activities. They just purchased a couple of metal detectors and are going to have the kids search an old farm house that is on the property. What could I say, I'll now be teaching future treasure hunters :-) Anyway, here are my finds for about 9 hours of detecting, 95P, 9N, 20D, 39Q and 3 rings. One of the rings is silver(My first ring, I was pretty excited), the other just gold colored metal and the other I don't have high hopes that its a real diamond as the ring is rusted. Needless to say I haven't even come close to covering the whole camp and it should offer me many good days of detecting to come. Now I just need to find more time to get out there and cover the whole place.

Attachments

• tn_Picture 003.jpg
    tn_Picture 003.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0
Nice finds CS, looks like getting the permission really paid off! Should be a lot more there! We'll be waiting for more pics, and Welcome to the forum!!

HH surfrat

sounds like the best of both worlds there.Knowledge/Pass It On.

CS110,

I would be interested in hearing how the metal detecting class goes and how it's run. I'm cubmaster of a Cub Scout pack and have thought about doing something like. I'm just not sure how to work it so 50 boys all get a fair turn with only two metal detectors. Maybe plant some coins kind of like a competition hunt?

Kent

CS,Grats on the site and I'm sure the kids and you will love the good times ahead.Great show.Look forward to the post from you and the kids.Hope you don't get SKUNKED ;D

Thats great, you'll be molding the next generation of THrs. I always try to take my time whenever a kid comes along and asks "what are you doing?". Very nice. :)

Nice Finds
Good Luck On The Rest Of The Camp!

;D

Attachments

• camping.gif
    camping.gif
    52.4 KB · Views: 254
I'll definitely let you know how it goes Kent, Summer camp start mid June I think so its still a couple weeks away. Like I said, they have an old house on the property that to their knowledge has never been detected. I'm not saying it hasn't but who knows. I've been wanting to take my DFX and see what's there but I'd rather let the kids have some fun if there is anything to find. They have 3 detectors right now and I have an my old Prism III they can use. The woman running the camp says the classes will only have 6-10 kids in it each time so it shouldn't be to bad. I look forward to it, it should be fun :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back