Camp Speight....confederate camp in Millican, Tx.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Friends, I'm just getting started with this. Does anyone know of any books/CW maps that show locations of camps beyond just the name of the town where located?

I drove over there today (what's left of the town of Millican) it is just a 30 mile drive. The historical marker is supposed to be located where the old RR depot was. This was a major transportation hub during the CW, but I don't know where the camp was located.

My next step will be speaking with some of the locals to see if there is any knowledge passed down thru the years in reference to this. I'm sure it is now on private land, but that just means I'll have to work on my diplomacy a little. :wink:

Thanks to any and all for the help.
BW

Upvote 0
Get to your library historic room, the local or county historical folks/society, or some other research venue there locally... there has got to be records of a camp unless they just occupied the railroad station space - and you already know where that was.

Good luck.

Research, research and then research some more. I would start with google Millican, TX Civil War. once you get a hit see what armies were involved, and get the generals name. From there you have to google every bit of info you have to paint the big picture and hope that some details and landmarks will help narrow your search. Good luck :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back